Tropical Storm Fay - truly a unique TS

Newt

Tropical storms are supposed to weaken when they pass over land. They are fueled by warm water (and lots of it) but the dry conditions and increased friction of land weakens them and disorganizes them. Always. Until Fay.

She went ashore in Florida and is in the process of crossing from the western (Gulf of Mexico) side to the Atlantic before recurving back inland at some point.

Fay has become stronger and better organized since making landfall which has not happened with any storm since we began keeping records. Speculation is that the very wet conditions on land and the presence of Lake Okeechobee may be keeping her healthy.

The eye is directly over the lake so fishing there for the next few weeks should be interesting. Fay continues to move slowly eastward but will be spending a significant amount of time over the lake itself.

fay_aug19.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Tropical storms are supposed to weaken when they pass over land. They are fueled by warm water (and lots of it) but the dry conditions and increased friction of land weakens them and disorganizes them. Always. Until Fay.

She went ashore in Florida and is in the process of crossing from the western (Gulf of Mexico) side to the Atlantic before recurving back inland at some point.

Fay has become stronger and better organized since making landfall which has not happened with any storm since we began keeping records. Speculation is that the very wet conditions on land and the presence of Lake Okeechobee may be keeping her healthy.

The eye is directly over the lake so fishing there for the next few weeks should be interesting. Fay continues to move slowly eastward but will be spending a significant amount of time over the lake itself.

fay_aug19.jpg

I`m fascinated by these storms mainly `cos of being caught up in a couple of `em and seeing what they can do first hand. This one looks special, keep your eye one this one Newt (no pun intended) and keep us updated.

spasmodic effect

Bobj - retiring but in a largish, mobile sort of caravan so I can simply hook up to my truck, put the slides in, and drive away to Tennessee until it has passed by.

Bonefish - I will post updates as things change. This particular storm is earning the nickname "Joker" because it is not behaving in any sort of predictable way.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Bobj - retiring but in a largish, mobile sort of caravan so I can simply hook up to my truck, put the slides in, and drive away to Tennessee until it has passed by.

Bobj, that's the only way I would agree to move closer to "hurricane country".

Bonefish - I will post updates as things change. This particular storm is earning the nickname "Joker" because it is not behaving in any sort of predictable way.

Thanks Newt, i`m tracking it now & it`s awesome, btw happy birthday to Jan & tight lines

spasmodic effect

My mate is out in the Dominican Republic at the moment I bet he is having fun

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Bobj, that's the only way I would agree to move closer to "hurricane country".

you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Caribbean

My mate is out in the Dominican Republic at the moment I bet he is having fun

They got mostly rain but huge amounts. The mountains there have been basically stripped of timber so mud slides are more dangerous to them than high winds and they did have deaths and quite a bit of damage from Fay.

The latest position and projected track - and the circles indicating uncertainty are as large as I can remember seeing.

at200806.gif

As are the predicted tracks by the various hurricane modeling programs.

at200806_model.gif