Ron Thompson Saltwater Fly Rods

fishfinder

Hi Fishfinder,

I bought it initially for use in the sea for Bass using flies upto size 2/0 which it handles no problem, although most of the time I'm only chucking smaller size 2-6's. However I have had a little go this winter for Pike and if I slowed the cast down a bit I could cast bigger 4/0 mohicans and Bunnies without too much problem though the really big flies on 6/0's were too much for it.

I did have to send the butt section back because the blank had become loose where it enters the handle and got a new section back within a week. It wasn't really a major fault, just that the rod ticked when casting and was annoying more than anything. Apart from that, there is no sign of rust on any eyes and the real seat is more than up to the job holding the reel nice and tight with no wobble. I think for what they are selling them for now you can't go wrong.

Stuart :)

Thanks Sturat - what line weight do you use it with?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, I am, or will be when I get the kit, an absolute novice at SWFF but game to give it a shot. What would be the minimum I would need for a decent cost effective setup?

I'll be using it for pollack and hopefully bass on the NW coast of Scotland, so it might be windy..... although hopefully the yak will help get around that :)

Sounds like the GRX #8/9 from Harris Angling is a good starting point, but what about reels and line. If anybody who is familiar with the range Harris Angling carry that'd be great as I'd prefer to do a 1 stop shop .... and as a challenge if everything comes off the bargain pages, like the rod, so much the better :)

Edited by spanner

Spanner,

Firstly the rod is a great buy, but I wouldn't get too hung up on buying from just Harris. To my mind anyone wanting set up for SWFFing on a budget should buy an Okuma Airframe reel (£30). Match it with a couple of 8 wieght lines. Buy a good floater or sink tip ( I'd recommend a Cortland 444sl Ghost tip ) and a fast sinker ( something like an Airflo Di7 ). 20lb - 30lb braid for backing and apart from flies, you should already have line for leaders etc.

The Cortland 444 Ghost Tip is available for around £38 from Fishtec and Tightlines, they are also offering a good discount on the Greys GRX, they also sell the Okuma so you may be able to get a deal for the outfit, even if they just load the reel with backing and the line.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I'd love to try before I buy but there is the problem ... I have never done it so how do I judge what is good for me as I have yet to develop a casting style.

In reality I think I'll just have to get something that is reliable and suitable for a novice, based on recommendations.

Ideally I'd meet up with some experienced guys and try out some of their gear.... anyone wanna come up to Aberdeen and teach me? :)

Thanks for the advice so far, I'll go have a look at prices etc.

Edited by spanner

I'd love to try before I buy but there is the problem ... I have never done it so how do I judge what is good for me as I have yet to develop a casting style.

In reality I think I'll just have to get something that is reliable and suitable for a novice, based on recommendations.

Ideally I'd meet up with some experienced guys and try out some of their gear.... anyone wanna come up to Aberdeen and teach me? :)

Thanks for the advice so far, I'll go have a look at prices etc.

And me - only problem si, I've just moved to Germany!! (Plenty of pike / Zander waters nearby!!)

Spanner,

Get yourself a casting lesson with a qualified instructor, should cost around £40 for an hour, it's worth every penny, firstly he/she should tell you how to do it and you'll know how it should feel when you cast, get it right and it is reasonably easy, get it wrong and it can be hard work, bad habits can take a long time to cure.

The instructor may also have a few rods that you can try, cheap and expensive.

I've had a couple of lesson's, and recently my casting has not been very good, so went and had another lesson, found that my wrist was breaking on the back cast, only slightly but it was effecting the distance I was able to cast and most importantly the presentation of the fly.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I use a trout fishing casting instructor type person, it's much easier learning the ropes with a lighter bit of kit, had my last lesson with a 3 weight, learning to double haul, the rod was on loan and the owner would probably have had kittens, it was a lovely rod. Orvis T3. :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Any opinions on the Greys GRX reel ..... aluminium frame so I can drop it when I feel like it..... and comes with 3 spools ..... at £48 works out much the same as the Okuma by the time you buy spare spools for it.

Is it best for a novice to go with WF lines and change spools accordingly rather than mess about with getting the right size shooting heads? Have I got the right end of the stick here or am I missing the point?

Is the only consideration for bakcing, beyond filling the spool, that it needs to be up to the job of handling a running fish, or is there more too it? I have some large diameter 65lb braid that is more abrasion resistent, about equivalent to 30lb mono, would that be suitable or is too big/thick?