Ron Thompson Saltwater Fly Rods

fishfinder

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Fishfinder.

I havnt tried the rod.

But The Ron Thompson brand is a middle of the road product range, offering good quality at a reasonable rate.

I have one of the beach shelters....excellent bit of kit for the money.

Also have one of the Rock Hopper spining rods.....again excellent bit of kit.

If the Fly rod compares to the quality of the rest of the products, Id say have a look at one.

You can always upgrade at a later date, if you wanted too.

just my oppinion.

YY :)

Bloody hell Mike!!!! Is there an echo in here or do you like the sound of your voice too much ? :D

I had the MPX for a while until it disintigrated mid-cast. Look for a Greys GRX. They are on offer at the moment ( Old model ) and if there's any left you can get the 8/9 for as little as £40. Absolutly brilliant rods for the money and backed by a "clumsy numbnuts" lifetime warranty ( unlike the RT. )

Bloody hell Mike!!!! Is there an echo in here or do you like the sound of your voice too much ? :D

I had the MPX for a while until it disintigrated mid-cast. Look for a Greys GRX. They are on offer at the moment ( Old model ) and if there's any left you can get the 8/9 for as little as £40. Absolutly brilliant rods for the money and backed by a "clumsy numbnuts" lifetime warranty ( unlike the RT. )

Great advice - I've seen the GRX, and as you said, the lifetime guarantee makes it all the more attractive!

Can I ask where you saw the GRX for $40? The best I can find is £48

Can I ask where you saw the GRX for $40? The best I can find is £48

sorry should be £40 (not $40!)

Well - I've just ordered myself a Greys GRX 9ft #8/9 3 piece fly rod. I paid £48.00 plus £4.50 P&P.

I ordered it from Harris-sportsmail.

At least if I break it, I can vlaim a new one with the lifetime guarantee.

Has anyone esle got one? I've already got a 9 weight line, but also a couple of 10 weight (toothy Critter pike fly lines). Will I break it if I use the ten weight lines with it?

John

Hi Fishfinder,

I've used the GRX for twelve months now and personally I think an 8 weight line suits it best.

I use a 444 ghost tip and snowbee floater in an 8 and they cast far better than the 9 weight sink tip I occasionally use, which does make it feel very soft. I'm no great caster but I think others will agree with me to go with the lower weight line. :)

Stuart.

Hi Fishfinder,

I've used the GRX for twelve months now and personally I think an 8 weight line suits it best.

I use a 444 ghost tip and snowbee floater in an 8 and they cast far better than the 9 weight sink tip I occasionally use, which does make it feel very soft. I'm no great caster but I think others will agree with me to go with the lower weight line. :)

Stuart.

Thanks - what do you use it fir - have you tried it with big pike flies?

Hi Fishfinder,

I bought it initially for use in the sea for Bass using flies upto size 2/0 which it handles no problem, although most of the time I'm only chucking smaller size 2-6's. However I have had a little go this winter for Pike and if I slowed the cast down a bit I could cast bigger 4/0 mohicans and Bunnies without too much problem though the really big flies on 6/0's were too much for it.

I did have to send the butt section back because the blank had become loose where it enters the handle and got a new section back within a week. It wasn't really a major fault, just that the rod ticked when casting and was annoying more than anything. Apart from that, there is no sign of rust on any eyes and the real seat is more than up to the job holding the reel nice and tight with no wobble. I think for what they are selling them for now you can't go wrong.

Stuart :)