Ron Thompson Saltwater Fly Rods

fishfinder

I use Orvis 20lb backing braid, it's a good idea to have it in a bright colour so that you can see when the main line is stripped from the reel, not that it's ever happened :D

When buying the reel especially in the case of a large arbour, is that some lines are 105' others are around 90' this can mean that there is no room for any backing, so may be worth moving up a reel size, check with the retailer before you buy.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions on the Greys GRX reel ..... aluminium frame so I can drop it when I feel like it..... and comes with 3 spools ..... at £48 works out much the same as the Okuma by the time you buy spare spools for it.

I wouldn't touch the GRX reel with a barge pole! Diecast aluminium will get eaten by the salt, it's heavy and noisy and the drag is prone to locking solid. Ignore what the Organ said about dropping the Airframe. I have abused (and dropped) mine for 3 1/2 years with no problems. They're as tough as old boots. If it's dropped and breaks I would guarantee that an aluminium framed reel would be bent out of shape and in all probability the die-cast ones would break in the same situation.

Got to agree with Martin. The Airframe is a perfectly serviceable reel and the money you'll save against a fancier reel can be put towards a decent line like the excellent 444sl ghost tip. :)

Edited by nifty

cheers guys. airframe it is then :)

So if I put all the recommendations together and having had a hunt on the net for prices I've got the following list:

Harris Angling:

Greys GRX #8/9 rod £48

P+P £ 5

Mikes Tackle:

Okuma Airframe #7/9 £27

airframe spare spool £ 9

Cortland 444sl ghost tip #8 £36

Airflo 40plus Di7 #8 £27

P + P £ 5

So thats £157 for the basic kit ..... any comments?

I already have some 44lb and 65lb braid that I can use for backing, and some 17lb fluro carbon, is that too heavy?

How about reccomendations on a basic set of flies.... not forgetting snatchers of course :)

Anything else I've missed? A line tray is one thing that comes to mind, do you guys use one on the yak or not? I can see that there are no rocks to stand on but still easy to get caught up on stuff I'd imagine.

Not a cheap this game is it?

Blimey I paid that for my first fly rod and that was and still is rubbish, I was foolishly blinded by the brand :(

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

cheers guys. airframe it is then :)

So if I put all the recommendations together and having had a hunt on the net for prices I've got the following list:

Harris Angling:

Greys GRX #8/9 rod £48

P+P £ 5

Mikes Tackle:

Okuma Airframe #7/9 £27

airframe spare spool £ 9

Cortland 444sl ghost tip #8 £36

Airflo 40plus Di7 #8 £27

P + P £ 5

So thats £157 for the basic kit ..... any comments?

I already have some 44lb and 65lb braid that I can use for backing, and some 17lb fluro carbon, is that too heavy?

How about reccomendations on a basic set of flies.... not forgetting snatchers of course :)

Anything else I've missed? A line tray is one thing that comes to mind, do you guys use one on the yak or not? I can see that there are no rocks to stand on but still easy to get caught up on stuff I'd imagine.

Have a look at the Scierra Line Tray - its made of mesh on a bendable wire frame - nice and light and very comfy - about £19 I think!

I'm not that familiar with where you fish, but a good basic fly selection would include clouser minnows in chartreuse/white and black/orange, deceivers in chart/white and blue/white and some form of surface pattern. Speak to Oz at uksaltwaterflies.com and see if he can do a deal on a selection ( I'm not sure whether it will help or hinder you to say I sent you).

Line tray - 1x washing up bowl, 4x lenor lids glued in the bottom, 1x bungee as a belt when not in the Yak.

Don't forget a set of sunglasse's for safety. Hooks whizzing to and fro around head height and exposed eyes don't mix.

Well - I've just ordered myself a Greys GRX 9ft #8/9 3 piece fly rod. I paid £48.00 plus £4.50 P&P.

I ordered it from Harris-sportsmail.

At least if I break it, I can vlaim a new one with the lifetime guarantee.

Has anyone esle got one? I've already got a 9 weight line, but also a couple of 10 weight (toothy Critter pike fly lines). Will I break it if I use the ten weight lines with it?

John

My GRX arrived today - superb value, can't wait to chuck some fluff with it.

If anyone else is after one, theres one up on Ebay, ends in 4 hrs, at the moment going for just £24.02. Item number 7211481592.

I wish I'd seen it before I ordered mine! Still happy though as I got a good deal with Harris-sportsmail!