water temperature

John Weddup

Hi all

have not posted here lately but hope I can gain some usefull advice as I have in the past.

I have decided to really concentrate on my fishing this year.

One of the things I am starting to do now is study water temperatures. I have a point and read infra red thermometer that seems very accurate in measuring water temperatures.

I know it wont read sub surface temp, will this be a problem?.

Today I measured 7 degrees centigrade.

Can anyone help with advice, findings, what temp fish feed etc.

yours

john

This is something I wanted to do, as will as start to log my fishing, with weather conditions and catches. Keep forgetting to buy a thermometer though. Any idea where to get one?

winky:

This is something I wanted to do, as will as start to log my fishing, with weather conditions and catches. Keep forgetting to buy a thermometer though. Any idea where to get one?

Try Maplins. (or similar electical bits and pieces shop)

Should be about £7.50 for a digital thermometer that measures inside and outside temps.

'Outside' is measured by a probe at the end of a longish piece of electrical lead that can be used to plop into the water.

see here:

maplin.co.uk/products/module.as...2&moduleno=5042

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Orvis and Sportfish sell thermometers that measure in both C & F for under £10.

I have been monitoring water temperatures for the last six years and can honestly say that I have not found a formula that I could work to - i.e. for determining fish feeding periods, fish movement, etc.

There are many other variables that must be taken in to account when trying to determin feeding patterns, periods of fish movement/activity, spawning times, and so on.

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

I went into colour in a big way some 15 years back Budgie.

I came to the conclusion that my eyes were the best judge for what colour lure to use in a specific colour of water, or clarity of water.

Back then, colour selectors cost mega $'s.

In coloured water I tend to use bright orange, bright red, or bright chartreuse lures.

In clear water conditions, I like to use silver flash - in various forms.

When it comes to top-water lure fishing, anything goes (!)

Two of my regular clients will be fishing the Ebro (? spelling) soon for cats - they're going to give big top-water lures a go - what are their chances?

[ 27. March 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: charliebettell ]

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'