Bass. Why I think they are special.

Steve Coppolo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until trendy chefes made bass fashonable and renamed them Sea Bass nobody but anglers targeted them.

The commercial fleet didnt target them until the late 60s, therefore they were the Anglers Fish and lots of anglers adopted them that way. Alot of anglers still hold the bass in high regard, spending lots of money in quest for a biggie.

They are one of the UKs favorite sports fish, that is why the BMP may just be implemented.

If the govement are to give us anything, we stand more chance we stand more chance with bass than any other species. Once the BMP is well underway then it will open doors for other managment plans.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I am quite interested in the livebaiting for bass techniques. How often on average would you refresh your bait or can the baitfish usually stay out for most of the session? I fish the Thames estuary quite a lot but have only ever seen one bass landed by mistake on the top hook of a pennel with a baby smoothhound on the bottom hook! I am not sure if the bass (about 6lb) was trying to take the smut or was just competing and tried to take the same bait as I would of thought that a little smoothie would be a bit of a mouthful and quite indigestible :yucky: I have had several times though of reeling in small whiting or pout and something, (presumably a bass) has had a go on the way in but the hooks have never been showing enough for a decent hook up. I presume that it is a patience game and you would have to put in the hours?

cheers

It's not a waiting game like it is with squid baits. In our cloudy waters it's the bait. I think the movement of the baitfish attracts the bass.

Most of the marks I fish are shallow, although there are good ones out deep as well. Most are around or just below the Mean Low Water Spring mark. Use the minumum amount of lead that you can to keep your bait down, near, dosen't have to be nailed down, to the bottom and trot back with it away from the boat. You can trot back with a float as well but it has to be big or the bait takes it under. Don't leave your rod unattended or you will lose it.

It's not a waiting game like it is with squid baits. In our cloudy waters it's the bait. I think the movement of the baitfish attracts the bass.

Most of the marks I fish are shallow, although there are good ones out deep as well. Most are around or just below the Mean Low Water Spring mark. Use the minumum amount of lead that you can to keep your bait down, near, dosen't have to be nailed down, to the bottom and trot back with it away from the boat. You can trot back with a float as well but it has to be big or the bait takes it under. Don't leave your rod unattended or you will lose it.

Cheers stoaty, looks like this year is going to see me try some new techniques and marks! shame they don't like LSD, even the herring gulls won't touch them :P

Live to fish!!

A live joey or small pout from a pier or rocks or any decent feature, use a runing paternoster with a week lead link. 3/0 to 6/0 hooks depending on bait size.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Talking of live bait, how about trying the locally available species? Butterfish and Gobys are sturdy, great on the hook and have (especially a small 6" Butterfish) great action when swimming!

I've only just starting using them last year...so we'll see what happens this year :-)

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Talking of live bait, how about trying the locally available species? Butterfish and Gobys are sturdy, great on the hook and have (especially a small 6" Butterfish) great action when swimming!

I've only just starting using them last year...so we'll see what happens this year :-)

Cheers stoaty, looks like this year is going to see me try some new techniques and marks! shame they don't like LSD, even the herring gulls won't touch them

Try fishing for LSD with a coarse anglers float rod. You might lose interest in bass

No offence pugs but if you want a big bass you need a bigger livebait than that.

Edited by Stoaty

I wouldnt say 6 inches is to small, lol.

Really 6 inch live bait will catch big bass, BUT they also catch smaller bass. The use of large live baits helps deter smaller bass, I use whiting and mackeral up to 1lb, Ive had 3lb bass on 1lb whiting.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.