Saltwater fishing Northumbria / NE

zimbo

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to fishing up here in the northeast... and the UK in general. I was wondering what the story is with regards saltwater fly fishing up here. Any information on where to fish, setup to use and all that would be greatly appreciated...

Tight lines

Cheers :thumbs:

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to fishing up here in the northeast... and the UK in general. I was wondering what the story is with regards saltwater fly fishing up here. Any information on where to fish, setup to use and all that would be greatly appreciated...

Tight lines

Cheers :thumbs:

Hello Zimbo. I live in Whitley Bay and have never attemted to fly fish locally. I believe our coastline/fishing is not suitable for it.

Having said that would guess that it "may" be posssible to winkle out a pollack in the Dunstanburgh Castle area. Could also be worth trying around the Aln/Coquet/Blyth estuaries. Best of luck in this venture

:)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher, Zimbo might get mackerel on the right tide, from the pipe at Whiltley Bay and Sea Trout may be a possibility from a few locations, the Long Nanny comes to mind.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Snatcher, Zimbo might get mackerel on the right tide, from the pipe at Whiltley Bay and Sea Trout may be a possibility from a few locations, the Long Nanny comes to mind.

I wish him all the best. Most people struggle to get mackies off the pipe with beachcasters :(

Its a pity our coastline is not more kind to fly fishing :fishing1::drunk:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Thanks for the info... keep it coming! I'll try and get out and see what happens... the estuaries sound good. I'm willing to throw flies at anything! I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers. :clap:

Before you go chucking in estuaries check out the mark you are casting from is not private. Just thinking of salmon/sea trout/licences and bailiffs :o:o:o

:drunk::drunk::showoff:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Guest franticfisherman2

If I was going to do this i would first suss out likely spots with spinning gear to get an idea of what species were about. Definitely start with estuaries, Sandy Bay (Wansbeck) on an incoming tide would produce coalies for sure with a chance of bass or seatrout (If you were very lucky). A slow sinker would probably work best with not to large a fly.

Deep water would need a fast sinking line eg. off the north side of Beadnell Point would be a good place to try but watch you don't hook any bairns on the back cast! Again keep flies small - easy to cast and because the fish won't be huge. If you find a shoal of mackies - great!

this is def a summer occupation I would stick to July-Sept. I'm not sure about licences but the tidal pool at the holy Island crossing does have seatrout and a lot of crabs which will take your flies after dark. Don't waste your time on the mullet tho', they are impossible!

Line trays are a must wherever you go. Pray for Westerly winds and calm seas. and if none of this works try this; :boat:;)

there is a lot of info about SWFF, there are loads doing it (But not me) and you are not alone :thumbs:

PS since when did Snatcher care about bailiffs?!

Edited by franticfisherman2

If I was going to do this i would first suss out likely spots with spinning gear to get an idea of what species were about. Definitely start with estuaries, Sandy Bay (Wansbeck) on an incoming tide would produce coalies for sure with a chance of bass or seatrout (If you were very lucky). A slow sinker would probably work best with not to large a fly.

Deep water would need a fast sinking line eg. off the north side of Beadnell Point would be a good place to try but watch you don't hook any bairns on the back cast! Again keep flies small - easy to cast and because the fish won't be huge. If you find a shoal of mackies - great!

this is def a summer occupation I would stick to July-Sept. I'm not sure about licences but the tidal pool at the holy Island crossing does have seatrout and a lot of crabs which will take your flies after dark. Don't waste your time on the mullet tho', they are impossible!

Line trays are a must wherever you go. Pray for Westerly winds and calm seas. and if none of this works try this; :boat:;)

there is a lot of info about SWFF, there are loads doing it (But not me) and you are not alone :thumbs:

PS since when did Snatcher care about bailiffs?!

Phil since I lost the ability to sprint away from them :drunk:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair