Using these could lead to more sustainable fish stocks?

stavey

Guest binatone

Big cod

You asked me to comment on this subject.

Then for some reason you thought that I was talking about angling.

I have offered you advice (on commercial fishing) readings if you want them, and have made my comments on this and other subjects where you have asked me to comment.

You say that you know it all so you need no information. That’s ok then. I’ve been going to sea for going on 35 years and as I have said before I learn something every day.

I do believe you have the enthusiasm that you would need if ever you thought of becoming a commercial fisherman and that’s a great start.

If you have the enthusiasm and love for your job then you are half way there. The other thing you need to succeed is knowledge, if you go in with the attitude that you have I am afraid to say you would stumble at the first fence.

Some of the best skippers that I have ever met stand out by there enthusiasm to learn more, regardless to how good they are at what they do.

I am not the world’s greatest angler by any means, but I am a good one because I listen and learn.

I have forgotten more about commercial fishing than you (with your attitude) could learn in your lifetime.

Don’t presume big cod; don’t intentionally make a fool out of yourself by trying to make a fool out of others.

I might not be a very good angler, but I have made a living before out of taking anglers and I could again. Could you make a living as a commercial fisherman? I think you would struggle don’t you?

Sorry stavey for having to address this on your thread, but I thought it was about time that someone put this man in the picture. A great thread stavey and some good interesting posts on it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John and Michelle.

Did you read this before your short break

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=472

It explains a point i was trying to explain to you, a few months ago about negative devolution

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your post. It makes good reading. Maybe I should have contemplated this more carefully the first time you brought it up.

If it is to be believed, and I see no reason not to, it seems to put a few more pieces into the puzzle.

I am enjoying my time on this forum. It gives good food for thought, although it was not the reason I came on in the first place.

An issue few commercials and few anglers have been exposed to and thought about enough imho. :(

Hi Chris,

Did you start a ‘big fish’ thread a while ago? If so, it may be worth reviving it, in order to prevent taking Stavey’s thread off on a tangent.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Guest binatone
Went trawling when i left school binitone long before you stepped on a trawler but couldnt handle the discards mate.

Get a grip. Your correct about the discards, it took me a year or two before I stopped my own discards going over the side. Mind you I was thrown in at the deep end and managed to stick it out. :yucky::yucky::yucky:

Big cod

To start with I believe that this thread is about alternative methods to catch cod commercially.

Not taking a few anglers to dangle there lines about a wreck? If you or your anglers loose there gear then it’s not the end of the world, now is it?

I can only apologise for being so stupid as to think that someone with all your skills would need anything more than a GPS and a sounder to go out and make a living working cod pots throughout the North Sea.

You are wasted with messing around with a few anglers when there is a whole industry just waiting for you to come along with all your skills and knowledge that you tell us you have.

I cannot understand for the life of me why boats still today pay up to £40000 to have sonar’s fitted when with a bit of skill and know how (like what you have) they would not need one.

As for you coming and showing me how to go on? I can only presume you believe your own hype.

You stick to trying to make a living doing what you do big cod, leave making a living from results of what we catch to the commercial lads.

Stavey

I think that you have come up with a very debateable thread; I am not trying to be negative on the subject in fact just the opposite. It’s just that we (commercial fishermen) are obviously not as skilled as big cod, therefore it would take a massive investment (in my opinion) to have a serious attempt at this method of fishing.

Ps big cod maybe you should change your name from big cod to Louie Armstrong? Because you don’t half know how to blow your own horn.

:wallbash:

Binatone

Here is a question for you! JB is one of the most successful skippers along the east coast and has fished many wrecks along the east coast very successfully...without the aid of a expensive sonar. As you seem to get on with him well I think JB should voice his opinion on this matter as I think this subject was turning into an argument between yourself and BIGCOD. I think we need another opinion from another charter skipper. I am sure that he will agree with me that after being a charter skipper for so many years and all the experience that he has he can confirm to you that it takes more skill to put a boat onto a wreck on whichever part of the wreck he pleases takes much more skill tha looking at an overpriced screen...........

As for the quote from you about 'losing gear' how do you think the handful of Whitby Netting boats in years gone by hit the wrecks with such precision??? This was with the aid of a couple of things, GPS or Navstar how it was a few years ago, but more importantly knowledge and that word EXPERIENCE!!

Now you may have towed a trawl a few miles in your time....where is the skill in that my friend???

Regards

Wtr2

:D

Binatone

Here is a question for you! JB is one of the most successful skippers along the east coast and has fished many wrecks along the east coast very successfully...without the aid of a expensive sonar. As you seem to get on with him well I think JB should voice his opinion on this matter as I think this subject was turning into an argument between yourself and BIGCOD. I think we need another opinion from another charter skipper. I am sure that he will agree with me that after being a charter skipper for so many years and all the experience that he has he can confirm to you that it takes more skill to put a boat onto a wreck on whichever part of the wreck he pleases takes much more skill tha looking at an overpriced screen...........

As for the quote from you about 'losing gear' how do you think the handful of Whitby Netting boats in years gone by hit the wrecks with such precision??? This was with the aid of a couple of things, GPS or Navstar how it was a few years ago, but more importantly knowledge and that word EXPERIENCE!!

Now you may have towed a trawl a few miles in your time....where is the skill in that my friend???

Regards

Wtr2

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone

Binatone

Regards

Wtr2

Well wtr2 good to see you back on form.

First of all, if you where to read this thread properly you will find all JB, s comments made very clear for us all to read

Read the whole thread please. When you have done that come and ask me a question again as all your questions have been answered in this thread.

After your last performance (on this forum before it was removed) don’t expect a man to reply to you (JB) after the insults that you aimed at his father.

I may have a disagreement or two on here with your dad, but I would not go and insult him intentionally in any way.

Hello Stavey

I just had a thought. gettig the thread back on corse.

I recon these traps would be very efective for catching mullet, probably more efective than nets, a fine mesh bag of bread could be used as very cheap bait, would not even need a boat, just lower them from the piers and jettys or even in my case just hang them over the side in the marina, something to do on blowy days for a bit extra cash.

What do you recon ?

I fish to live and live to fish.