Has anybody built their own carp rod?

Julian

Never attemted to build a rod myself as i once trie to re whip an eye that had come of one of my rods and made an absoloute mess of it :blink:

As said befrore Harrison do some great blanks, i have a few ballistas, sullis and an interceptor from harrison and they are all well worth the money. They also offer some advice on their website for rod building http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/rodbuilding.htm

I am sure they would help with any info if you gave them a call. I phoned once to enquire about an Avon rod and was invited to the factory to see one, luckily enough i only live 5 mins away so i went down :sun:

Regards Paul Mc

Yep, read through the building pages on their site yesterday – some very good info and it’s definitely fired me up to have a go. Will do a bit more investigation on the blanks, As Nige says, something a little lighter would be ideal - I wonder if the reduced length has something to do with the bigger TC’s?

I once met a guy on the bank who was stalking with a 9ft 2lbTC Sportex blank, a cut down and slightly lighter version of my 12ft 2.25TC rods – it was fantastic, and ideally that’s the kind of thing I’m after.

Thanks for all the input guys.

:thumbs:

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Guest sandpipper

where do you live, the furthest north i go now is atherstone nr birminham i can show you how its done, you have to watch it being done if you get the knack of starting the whipping and the finnishing you`ll get the bug and be redoing all your rods then your mates then like me rod repairs for your local tackle shops, then hey no time for fishing, if your anywhere near atherstone or kingbury im there for the next two weeks from sunday night pm me and i`ll give you my number.tony

Hi Tony,

What a kind offer, thanks very much – isn’t Anglers Net a great place! :)

Unfortunately, I’m not quite at that stage yet, as I have none of the tools, materials or equipment required!

For info I live in Leek, about 10 miles south of Macclesfield so it’s a fair knock up from Birmingham.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

You'll find that building your own rods costs almost as much, if not more, than buying one ready built. But like tying your own fly's you get huge satistaction form its use once its complete.

If you have never whipped rings before, it pays to practice on a pc of old bamboo first.

Chesters . . Dawsons of Bromley went years ago, as did Ken Brown and the local tackle manufacturer "Modern Arms".

Andrew Boyd

never built a rod, but i have one that was specially made for me, a fledger courtesy of steve burke (thanks steve, one of these days i'll get round to telling everyone how great it is! :))

there's nothing like having a rod built exactly how you want it, and obviously the satisfaction gained from doing it yourself would be even better.

you won't save any money but you'll end up with the rod you've always wanted