this is a new one on me

jeepster

I've never had the need for a tool to open a pike's mouth, but Peter's right about tiny pike being a pain, especially with two trebles and a finger or two inside a small mouth/gill flap. Jacks are very lively and slippery, and I would expect them to come to harm with something like this in their mouth - but I haven't used one, so I could be wrong. You can always just use your forceps to ease a small pike's mouth open, and then a bit of pressure on the trace should keep it open long enough to remove the hooks.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It is actually slightly flexible and can be opened carefully and in a controlled manner. I would only use it with small jacks. I carry mine, just as I do side-cutters, just in case. Argyll sees it as fragile, but it is more than adequate for new season jacks which can be the absolute devil to unhook. Perhaps I have more experience with one and two season old pike! Not to be confused with the old spring loaded jaw breakers.

forget forceps guys...try a baker hook out...forceps just don't grip firmly enough

:thumbs:

rgds <')Andy<

post-8115-1137772173_thumb.jpg

forget forceps guys...try a baker hook out...forceps just don't grip firmly enough

:thumbs:

rgds <')Andy<

well thanks for your replies everyone, i knew we wouldn't all agree :)

i already have a baker hook out andy, i never ever use it, as i can't keep it clipped to me like forceps, and it doesn't seem worth the extra pocket space to carry it with me