I WANT A KAYAK!

fishfinder

I bet this question has been asked a thousand times on here already...

I would like to give Kayak fishing a try, but haven't got a clue where to start!

Can anyone direct me to a cheap but decent model - ideally I would like to be able to stick it on the roofrack of my car. I imagine I would need loads of other kit such as flares, life vest, etc, etc.

Also - probably a daft question - when you launch a boat from a slipway, you often pay a charge. Do you usually pay to launch a Yak, or do you just jump in and paddle away!?

Another dumb question - do you anchor up or just drift?

Hi Fishfinder.

Take your time choosing kit and Kayak.

Read about the sport before you dive in, it will be worth the time spent.

Take a look at........

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

Cant praise or promote this site enough, loads of info here that will be very usefull to you.

As for a Kayak to start off with, at a reasonable cost, take a look at the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT.

For a cheap workhorse, that is a stable fishing platform you cant go wrong with this ride.

She is a proven Kayak, I still have mine, and am looking at upgrading to the XL......love em :thumbs:

Would not reccomend fitting hatches to the XT.

Slipways.....pahhhhhh :D never paid to launch yet.

We fish at anchor and on the drift, depending on conditions,tide flow, and what we are fishing for.

Have a good read of the above link, and let us know what you think.

The Sit On Top Kayak is the best modle to use......just my oppinion.

Good luck.

YY :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

I often launch from a slipway in Christchurch harbour and it is free for yaks but motor boats have to pay. Don't know what the score is everywhere else-----ditto what Yakitty-Yak said---never paid to launch yet but paid a whole heap of dosh for parking though

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

You should try west wales its free at some locations and mostly a pound all day.

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Hi Fishfinder,

Slipways along the East Solent appear to be free, or maybe their to embarrassed to ask me for money.

Like Yakity says read plenty, ask lots of questions, go and look at a few kayaks, if there are people kayak fishing locally to you, go and chat, they may even let you have a paddle, be aware that some of the kayak designs would be more comfortable on a lake or protected harbour, hence the reason to talk to locals.

If your ever in the Solent area, let me know, your more than welcome to try out the Prowler 13 or Caper.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Fishfinder,

Slipways along the East Solent appear to be free, or maybe their to embarrassed to ask me for money.

Like Yakity says read plenty, ask lots of questions, go and look at a few kayaks, if there are people kayak fishing locally to you, go and chat, they may even let you have a paddle, be aware that some of the kayak designs would be more comfortable on a lake or protected harbour, hence the reason to talk to locals.

If your ever in the Solent area, let me know, your more than welcome to try out the Prowler 13 or Caper.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I've been on plenty of other forums, and I can honestly say that this is by far the friendliest and most helpful. Never ask for help on a carp forum - they're full of trade secrets!

I'll be moving house in a year or so, probably in are of Frinton on Sea (Essex) or maybe down near Southampton, as I've got family all over the place. I'll be doing plenty of research before I buy anything.

To be honest, I think its really saltwater rather than freshwater that I'm interested in.

If I come down to Southampton, I would definitely appreciate your help!

John

Just give me a shout in advance and we will arrange something. We may be able to get Richi and Darnsarf along and make a day of it.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com