water i fished

j green

hi

ive been going to a complex for about 4 years in norfolk and there 5 lakes and lodges on the lakes but 4 of the lakes are always fished and theres carp to 22lbs but at the back of the complex all on its own theres a 12 acre lake and we asked people acouple of times during the times we had been there and everyone had said theres no fish in there at all just a couple of course fish but on our last stay we asked the owner of this complex and he said try that 12 acre lake and see whats in there so we done 2 nights on there and had four 20lbs commons to 24lbs and two 18lbs commons and a 15lb mirror all in superb condition and it was a superb session on a beutiful lake so every time im going there now we will go on that lake and keep the catches quiet.Has anybody had the same experience on these waters.I would put some pictures of the fish on the topic but i need to no how you get them on there because i cant get them on.

j.green

I fished it for nearly 12 years, before it had the lodges on.

I had literally hundreds of carp from there from 1lb upto 25lb+

I primarily used to fish the 10acre lake which now has the lodges on.

I have fished the 12 acre lake (trout lake as it was known then) and had caught some carp upto 18lb.

The lakes used to be called Big lake (10 acre), 2 poles (the lake with the islands), "S" pit (aptly named cos its in the shape of a reversed "S") , boot pit (the small lake hidden behind the "S" pit) and the tench lake (the square lake at the back of the "S" pit) and the trout lake (used to be fished by the fly bashers).

When I used to fish the main carp lake, the average size of fish was mid doubles (12-15lb), 2 poles as it was know was easier to catch from and held a few surprises, with some low 20lbers in it (2-3 not too many).

Strawberry was a favourite flavour for the fish in 2 poles, and I always did well on the hutchy swan mussel flavour in the main carp lake.

Luncheon meat was a killer in the "S" pit as it was in the tench lake.

I`d highly doubt theres anything over 25lb in there now, as the only food source thats in that lake was the anglers baits.

There used to be about 2ft deep black silt about 2/3 of the way across the lake at the to pend (nearest the entrance) and the entire bottom end was solid black silt.

The never used to be any vegetation naturally growing in the lake as the silt wasn`t healthy.

I can`t really comment much about the lakes now as I`ve not been there for approx 6 years, as thats when they kicked off the anglers in favour for the lodges, but if the lakes are anything like they used to be, then i wouldnt expect the fish to be putting on weight.

As far as I know, all the fish in the lakes are at least 25 maybe more years old.

I used to fish Woodlakes regularly about 12 years ago (I lived just down the road). The trout lake used to be a real gem - deep, clear, weedy, and stocked sympathetically with lovely, fit trout that overwintered well. As soon as the carp went in it changed completely - maybe (hopefully) it's settled over time. Even before the carp were stocked there were one or two in there; you could see them basking in the margins if you were quiet.

The 'proper' carp lakes were good for stalking, especially 2 poles and the S pit. With a rod and loaf of bread you could catch dozens, including some low doubles, in a day. Very enjoyable. I never understood why people set up camp and stayed put all day.

Congrats on your catch though, that's a great session. Especially as you did something different from the crowds. I'd make the most of it though, it's likely to get rather more busy now I suspect...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music