cold weather

steve17

I have this coming wednesday and thurs off work and was hoping to do some carping on local gravel pits, but the weathers on the turn and forecast gives 3 - 5 degrees during the day and freezing at night here in lincolnshire.

Does anyone rate my chances?

Are the fish still likely to feed at some point during the day?

Temps for the last 2 weeks have been reaching 8-9 degrees and the winds havent been all that strong.

Not sure of the water temperature as i dont have a thermomiter.

thanks.

steve.

Steve, on my local lakes (Kent) the water temp slowly rose to 43C by last friday, but has been knocked back down to 42C on Saturday.

Saw a couple of fish top on Thurs and Fri, the first sign since before Xmas, so was hopeful, but with the temp drop I think the fish will shut up shop again...won't stop me going though :)

Be lucky,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

hi

carp will always feed in any conditions but if the waters very cold they will feed but vary rarely and if it is a good stocked water with a fare amount of fish then i would recommened finding a deeper spot of the lake and just putting out a single hookbait(pineapple pop up, brilliant) or if the water isent as stocked then put out a small pva bag just to attract the fish more with a pop up.

j.green

I have this coming wednesday and thurs off work and was hoping to do some carping on local gravel pits, but the weathers on the turn and forecast gives 3 - 5 degrees during the day and freezing at night here in lincolnshire.

Does anyone rate my chances?

Are the fish still likely to feed at some point during the day?

Temps for the last 2 weeks have been reaching 8-9 degrees and the winds havent been all that strong.

Not sure of the water temperature as i dont have a thermomiter.

thanks.

mate you won't catch them sat at home in front of the fire...think you got more chance at the lake....but then again jus been outside...sat in front of the fire at home might be a good option...wot water u going on if u don't mind saying?? i hardly kno any decent winter waters around here that allow nights...i'm on a syndicate that is cracking in the winter at night with some very big fish in...but some clown jus stopped nights for 3 months...brilliant wen youv'e got a winter campain planned!!!!!!!

Steve, on my local lakes (Kent) the water temp slowly rose to 43C by last friday, but has been knocked back down to 42C on Saturday.

We all know you really mean F not C. ;)

:) :) lilypad....temp, did mean F.

Water was down to just under 40F today and half covered with ice, BUT...in one corner there were 20+ fish cruising around close to the surface.

Nothing to do with the sun, they were also there yesterday and it was cloudy all day.

The only reason I spotted them was because one of them is a big pale Koi (25+) and it was easily seen, on closer inspection I saw the others!

I had 4 baits in among them all day yesterday but someone else was in the swim today (and unaware of the fish! )

Makes a mockery of all my experience (and my mates).

No cover, similar depths to the rest of the lake, one of the most heavily fished swims, beside the car park (doors banging and cars driving close by)

If it doesn't freeze right over then I will be back tomorrow with the zig rigs :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

mate you won't catch them sat at home in front of the fire...think you got more chance at the lake....but then again jus been outside...sat in front of the fire at home might be a good option...wot water u going on if u don't mind saying?? i hardly kno any decent winter waters around here that allow nights...i'm on a syndicate that is cracking in the winter at night with some very big fish in...but some clown jus stopped nights for 3 months...brilliant wen youv'e got a winter campain planned!!!!!!!

i dont really know any decent night waters in winter either, richmonds doesnt fish tho the back lake might be worth a try. i was planning on fishing oakhill leisure, not sure how it fishes in winter but was willing to give it a crack but i aint feelin to good now, typical! :cry:

think in front of the fire is the best place atm.

Edited by steve17

steve.

Steve, managed to get that swim again today...lake was frozen over 90% but "my" bit was partially clear. I fished short range and waited for the ice to clear, and then went to see if the fish were still there.....no sign of them.

Blanked again, but did get a 30second close up view of a Bittern..........camera still in its box!!!!!!!

Den

Steve, managed to get that swim again today...lake was frozen over 90% but "my" bit was partially clear. I fished short range and waited for the ice to clear, and then went to see if the fish were still there.....no sign of them.

Blanked again, but did get a 30second close up view of a Bittern..........camera still in its box!!!!!!!

Den

Never seen a Bittern.

Had one BOOMING away one night in the reeds right next to me whilst Tenching.

It never showed itself but a few of my mates have seen it (ot them) on occasion.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!