Grayling

singy

i can't for one moment say I'm a 100% proficient fly fisherman, It's something I've only been doing on and off for 12 months. But it's something i've got totally into in that time. Something i've spent far too much money on and it's got me addicted.

On Sunday I'm off down to the test (timsbury) for my first attempt at grayling fishing (rest of the lads will be trotting maggots, fishing the swimfeeder etc) i was thinking of taking the fly rod with me.

Any tips for how to present my flies, fly choice etc etc will be very much apreciated.

Singy

Paul Singleton

i can't for one moment say I'm a 100% proficient fly fisherman, It's something I've only been doing on and off for 12 months. But it's something i've got totally into in that time. Something i've spent far too much money on and it's got me addicted.

On Sunday I'm off down to the test (timsbury) for my first attempt at grayling fishing (rest of the lads will be trotting maggots, fishing the swimfeeder etc) i was thinking of taking the fly rod with me.

Any tips for how to present my flies, fly choice etc etc will be very much apreciated.

Singy

I don't know how high and clear the Test is at present, but if you can see the fish (or know a spot where fish have taken your bait previously), try a well leaded (or bead-headed) shrimp / bug or a Hare's Ear type fly in sizes 10 to 16 - 14 being about right as an 'average' in average, winter, chalkriver conditions (grayling these days see a lot of large flies - 10s and 12s - and will stare straight through - I'll go to 18 and 20 then). Cast the fly upstream and across, allow it to sink DEEP, then watch the tip of your fly line like a hawk for any slowing or sudden stoppage, twitch or draw. If the weather is mild (even if it is not) grayling will sometimes take a dry fly in dead of winter. Fly is lovely way of fishing for grayling: get addicted to it and you'll be dumping your bait rods!

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Thanks Paul

At the moment the stretch is running well with a little colour though (from the reports I can get) I have no intention of using bait. I'll leave that to the rest of the lads. Though I may well pack a pike rod and a few sardines (just in case) :)

Is there any merit in fishing a team of flies? or are grayling mainly going to be fopund on the bottom (looking at the fish;s mouth they do look like a bottom feeder) I have a good selection of Czech Nymphs, and depth charge nymphs (tungston) I even have a few killer bugs (look very much like a maggot) though these do not carry weight (might have to dip into my carp tackle for some putty)

i do not however have anything in pink, and looking through various web pages there seems to be alot of pink grayling flies.

Are these lovely fish line shy? I'll probably be taking 2 rods, a 8.5 ft 4/5 wt and a 9ft 6 weight (though I suspect the 6 wt is maybe a little too powerful) I know the river has plenty of trout and sea trout in at the moment and wouldn't want to go too light if I can get away with it.

Would a 5lb flourocarbon tippet be OK or too heavy? My 4/5 wt outfit I only have a floating line (however the 6wt I have floating, intermediate and a sink tip ) hence why I'm taking it.

Thanks again Paul, and sorry for all the questions (I'm getting rather excited) :)

Edited by singy

Paul Singleton

Here are some answers, singy - in haste!

Thanks Paul

At the moment the stretch is running well with a little colour though.......... Is there any merit in fishing a team of flies?

Not usually required (or the done thing) on a chalkriver, though in heavier flows I'll use two, with the one on a short dropper 15 to 20 in. above the point fly being a large one and really carrying a ton of weight.

or are grayling mainly going to be fopund on the bottom (looking at the fish;s mouth they do look like a bottom feeder) I have a good selection of Czech Nymphs, and depth charge nymphs (tungston) I even have a few killer bugs (look very much like a maggot) though these do not carry weight (might have to dip into my carp tackle for some putty)

Yup. Or split shot. Though casting isn't pretty, more of a lob.

i do not however have anything in pink, and looking through various web pages there seems to be alot of pink grayling flies.

Take your Sawyer Bugs (they have a pinkish hue, and send em down with a big, ballast fly (eg one of those tungsten depth charge jobs), or with shot.

Are these lovely fish line shy?

Not really. I use 3lb mono on average, only going fine or into fluoro when the water is very low and clear and the fish wary.

I'll probably be taking 2 rods, a 8.5 ft 4/5 wt and a 9ft 6 weight (though I suspect the 6 wt is maybe a little too powerful) I know the river has plenty of trout and sea trout in at the moment and wouldn't want to go too light if I can get away with it.

I fish a 5-weight floater for much of my grayling fishing.

Would a 5lb flourocarbon tippet be OK or too heavy? My 4/5 wt outfit I only have a floating line (however the 6wt I have floating, intermediate and a sink tip ) hence why I'm taking it.

The fluoro will be be okay, but if you can SEE fish in shallow water, fish finer. Take the 6-weight with floater just in case a gale is blowing.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

The top of the Timsbury water is 'fly only' so you'l have about 200 yards to yourself - as I did at the fish in the other year.

I found the best spot though was at the bottom of this section where the river shallows and does a 70° left with an island in the middle.

Both sides and the shallows in front were good spots - the rest of this stretch upstream was weedy and has trees every 10 yards (but I did spot a nice sea trout hard against a Salmon rest).

The section below this with a pontoon out above some shallows was another good spot.

I would also take a trotting outfit and a few pints of maggots as well - give your casting arm a rest while your having lunch.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Well that was a disaster. My car broke down 20 mins from the stretch and i had go home on the back of a low loader. :(

I sympathize, singy.

Save the Planet, next time, and hire one - as I do...

Yours truly, a former runner of many an old (and a new) banger,

PB

I sympathize, singy.

Save the Planet, next time, and hire one - as I do...

Yours truly, a former runner of many an old (and a new) banger,

PB

why would the planet have been any more saved by him breaking down in a hire car than in his own?

why would the planet have been any more saved by him breaking down in a hire car than in his own?

YOU are clearly "on my case" (what was it? - 13.5 seconds?), jeepie boy.

I am out of here until YOU are NOT.

Edited by Paul Boote