New Batteries

Sharkbyte

Steve and Wayne - it isn't a big job to fit an isolator switch with the switch over facility - OFF, 1 on 1 off, 1on 1off reversed, or both. Then switching batteries is taken care of forever - the beauty of being able to draw from both batteries means you can turn the engine over if you have drained the starting battery too much. A quick boost from both will get your big thumper swinging!

Just a thought. Many boats with twin engine installations use this system - so you can switch batteries to start both engines. If one battery goes down, you can still get both engines going.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I've just remembered that livebait tank thats to be installed when I can be bothered and the 12v fridge I have but has never been used. Mick, could they do me a pair of 200ah's? :lol:

Gulp...:huh: It's ok Steve, I'll risk frying my basic ammeter. Ta anyway mate. :thumbs:

Debbage, i think, can only get the 110AH at that price.

I have two of these cheap batterie on my boat, one is the main engine battery and electric anchor winch.

The other feeds everything else, FRIDGE- TV - DVD - NAV LIGHTS - EBERSPACHER - PLOTTER - FISH FINDER - CABIN LIGHTS - SHOWER - BEILGE PUMPS X3 - WATER PUMP etc etc. This battery takes a real hammering at times, but it stands up to the punishment ok. Not bad for a £50 battery.

If you come down this way, let me know and i will take you aboard for a cuppa. maybe steve might want to tag along with you., he keeps saying he will call in one-day.

Deano and Tel came down the other week, don't get lost like they did..LOL.

Steve and Wayne - it isn't a big job to fit an isolator switch with the switch over facility - OFF, 1 on 1 off, 1on 1off reversed, or both. Then switching batteries is taken care of forever - the beauty of being able to draw from both batteries means you can turn the engine over if you have drained the starting battery too much. A quick boost from both will get your big thumper swinging!

I often do this as I need ~11.6V to crank my engine. I have one of those rotating switches so I can use either or both of my batteries to start the engine (all electronics and engine are fed off the same busbar). The thing I dread is forgetting what I've got it set to and running both batteries down too far to re-start the engine!! :unsure: Sharkbyte - are you going to have an aereator or circulation pump in your livewell? I have 2 livewells and feed them both from a Jabsco 'water puppy' pump. This draws about 8amps, and gives a voltage drop of about 0.4V. Quite often simply turning the pump off will give me enough volts to crank the engine. :thumbs:

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Cheers for the links Stoaty, some good info contained in them. :thumbs:

Simon, I fitted a battery selector switch when I rebuilt the boat, stumped up a touch extra and bought the one with a continuous feed when crossing over. Saves burning out the rectifier if changing over from one battery to the other whilst the engine is running. Also useful for topping up both batteries on the charger at the same time, just select 'both' and connect it up to either battery.

Thanks for the invite Mick, I'll give you a shout when I'm heading your way. I was only pulling your leg about a couple of 200ah's, I think my boat would take on a list of epic proportions if I fitted them anyway. ;)

Like you Toerag I am absolutely terrified of being far out to sea and not being able to start the engine, it is this fear that has probably kept us out of any trouble.

It sounds like you could do with an onboard generator what with your boats relentless thirst for ampheres. ;)

I am installing a circulating livebait tank using an ordinary bilge pump fixed to the transom to refresh the water. I understand that they may wear out with time but at giveaway prices I can live with it. I'll get something similar to yours when I have the boat to match. :D

Anyone looking to fit a livebait tank would not go far wrong checking out Poole Bays website. They have had some excellent threads on how to go about creating one and give suppliers details for deals on tubs etc.

If you come down this way, let me know and i will take you aboard for a cuppa. maybe steve might want to tag along with you., he keeps saying he will call in one-day.

Deano and Tel came down the other week, don't get lost like they did..LOL.

Hi Mick

Can you email me your mobile number again please? Next time I'm over that way I'll give you a ring and drop in for a cuppa.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I'm going to pay Mick a visit after a hard day at work. First I'll take a shower, then pull a cold beer out of his fridge and settle down to watch a dvd. :D

LOL Wayne...I have a few XXXX DVD's, but the beers will have to come from the pub just across the road.