Cheesepaste question

Anderoo

Despite having fished since I was 4 years old, I've never used cheesepaste. I'm going to give it a bash at the weekend and I've got what looks like a decent recipe from the web (puff pastry with mature cheddar and danish blue, lovely) but my question is, can this be frozen and refrozen etc? I'd like to make a good old lump of it and be able to keep thawing it, using what I need and refreezing it. Will this ruin it, or maybe make it better?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite having fished since I was 4 years old, I've never used cheesepaste. I'm going to give it a bash at the weekend and I've got what looks like a decent recipe from the web (puff pastry with mature cheddar and danish blue, lovely) but my question is, can this be frozen and refrozen etc? I'd like to make a good old lump of it and be able to keep thawing it, using what I need and refreezing it. Will this ruin it, or maybe make it better?

It freezes well, although I prefer to keep mine in the fridge for a few days before use and make only as much as I need, rather than freeze it in batches.

Anyway, there's something therapeutic about the making of the stuff!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

One of my favourite baits Anderoo, Iv'e never frozen it though. Ive used it a few weeks old though,(my mates tell me they can smell where I'm fishing from 100yds down wind). If I'm pushed for time I usually get those cheese slices in a pack, individually wrapped and they keep for ages.Years ago we used to use different stuff for different water temps. If it was really cold, we'd use cheese triangles, because they were soft, in hot weather the old cracker barrel because it stayed firm enough to stay on the hook. Now i just make a paste the usual way using any cheese I can scrounge from the fridge. The smellier the better.

One word of advise, mould the paste to just fit the hook, usually a pear drop shape. I've had great days with just a big lump of cheese paste as the only bait I've taken, roach, barbel as well as chub. Give it a go you'll be surprised. :thumbs:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks for the replies folks!

The river I'll be fishing sees very little angling pressure - do you see this as a problem using cheesepaste, or is it an 'instant' bait?

(In case you're wondering why I'm using a new bait on a new river in pretty tough weather - I like a challenge!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheesepaste is an instant bait

It's important that you use shortcrust pastry not puff pastry.

If you have a food mixer its very easy to make. Put 300 grams of danish blue into the mixer and using the whisk attachment beat it till the cheese is a smooth paste which will take 5-10 minutes. Add 500 grams of short crust pastry and mix the two together thoroughly using the K beater for about 2 minutes. This will make a really smooth paste that is just strong enough to cast but is soft enough that it always falls off during the retrieve.

I've found puff pastry mix works just as well, I also add some Sensas (or such like cheese flavour in the squirty bottle), to the mix and I usually dye it orange or yellow.

Ive heard garlic flavouring also works but I have not tried it, (I think a sea food flavour would also work buy I don't think my marriage would last).

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Bugger, got the wrong pastry. Back to co-op this evening then! Thanks Andy.

I don't want to put down anyones recipes for cheese paste, what ever your confident is a big plus in angling. However, I have been using cheese for about 40 years now, and have never used any type of flour. Just white bread and cheese mixed. Two slices of bread with thick cheese inside, and knead them together well, some times it helps to steam the "sandwich" over a pan of boiling water first, this makes the kneading easier. I like to trot with cheese,two or three hookbait size pieces thrown in every couple of swims down.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hmmm, maybe I'll try a couple of different recipes. The reason I was planning to use pastry mix instead of bread is that (apparently) the bread mix can go very hard in cold water, and make it difficult to hook anything. This is just internet hearsay though...