ANCHOR suggestions please

predator1

ok great thanks for the advice my boat is the new predator 16, what weight of anchor would you advise i thought about the 7kg one should be ok the ground around herne bay is mostly sand and small areas of rocky ground so it looks like i will have to sell my fishermans anchor and go for a bruce or plough anchor

cheers for the advice

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus are the bruce and plough anchors ok to be recovered by the bouy system ie outboard power to pull up thats the way i use, if so can you attatch a system like the fishermans anchor ie if it gets caught up the string will break so its pulled from the other end of anchor

cheers

predator1:

plus are the bruce and plough anchors ok to be recovered by the bouy system ie outboard power to pull up thats the way i use, if so can you attatch a system like the fishermans anchor ie if it gets caught up the string will break so its pulled from the other end of anchor

cheers

Yes, I use the buoy system on a plough anchor no problem.

Yes, I use a breakaway cord on a plough anchor, but make sure the anchor you buy has a shackle hole to attach your chain at the wrong end.

Don't sell the fisherman anchor, keep it as a spare.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I recently went to purchase a bruce type anchor for my 16ft boat and according to their chart it needs a 5kg anchor. The reason I did not buy one is a genuine bruce costs £157.00....a bit steep to chuck over the side !

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

www.compass24.com has a 7kg plough suitable for boats up to 5.5M for £27.95, M-Anchor (Bruce copy) holds boats up to 7M with a 5kg anchor for £19.95 - a bit less that £157!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Preditor, you wont go wrong with a Bruce copy, cheap, top holding power, in my experience, on any type of ground. Just make sure you dont sckimp on the chain!!!! 5kg will do the job, 7.5 gives a little security.

CJS2

20ft is fine, you will find the set very quick with a good 8mm chain length. I find the Bruce even sets well on traditionaly hard to get a hold weedy/rocky ground. Dont have much of that around Felixstowe, but there are a few places where I have failed with Plough and Danforths, the Bruce sets every time (well 99 out of 100 times).

Just changed my boat to a 35ft Cygnus, spent yesterday re doing the winch rope chain set up, and replacing the anchore to yes, a 15kg Bruce type, 30ft of 10mm chain. Any other patern, would have needed 20 or 25kg. Have to be sencible, in storm conditions 20/25kg is prefered + more chain, but then in storm conditions the best place is in the marina or at least under power heading into the sea and hopfully home.

CJS2