single hookbaits in winter

j green

You can get crystallised ginger in your local supermarket. It is usually found in the cake making area.

I believe you can dice it up to spice up cakes or slice it for decoration. It is sugar coated (real) ginger root.

It is not very sweet though, without the sugar. I have found it stays on the hair better if it is threaded onto the hair across the grain. it is not a jelly as some people think and does not dissolve. I have had fish after the bait has been out 14hrs and that's without the imitation sweetcorn. :thumbs:

I have to admit even in winter that I still put a fair amount of bait in, then fish a Pineapple, Tutti Fruiti kind of bait over the top. Carp can still go on the feed in the colder weather, not like in the warmer months but they do sometimes turn on. I also ALWAYS have one bait popped up on a Zig Rig, and have had quite a bit of success with it as well.

Bankside - it's interesting that you mention a Zyg rig. I've often suggested this on the Forum as when perch fishing in winter with worms and deadbaits I seldom catch carp on the bottom. However I do catch carp off the bottom. I don't mean popped up 6 inches; rather I'm talking here about midwater - perhaps 3 feet up in 6 feet of water.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, I always get the depth with the marker float and keep the rig around mid way. Carp will quite often head for shallower water as well so I always bait a spot up in the margins and keep my eye on it, or very often drop a bait in the spot, I would have thought you could catch both Perch & Chub with a worm up in the water, never really done that myself though, but you have definatley given me food for thought there.

regards

Bankside

I would have thought you could catch both Perch & Chub with a worm up in the water, never really done that myself though, but you have definatley given me food for thought there.

You can, but it's a presentation that perch and stillwater chub eventually wise up to, especially on a paternoster. Additionally, it's often better to congregate the bait fish on the bottom by heavy baiting rather than by feeding little and often. Then you're fishing in 2 dimensions only, plus the perch can more easily stalk the bait fish by creeping up on them.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

hi

so what do you think i will have a better chance of catching a fish on, a zig rig or a bottom bait (for carp)

the water im fishing goes down to 18 feet deep and shallows up to 18 inches.

Also when you said about fish the margins did you meen in the winter.

thanks

j.green

You can get crystallised ginger in your local supermarket. It is usually found in the cake making area.

I believe you can dice it up to spice up cakes or slice it for decoration :thumbs:

Have you tried the Chinese supemarkets for the stuff.

Try the sweet section, there you will find some interesting flavours and colours and they taste lovelly too :)

Don't forget to get yourself some dried, whole anchovy too. When crushed to a coarse powder it makes a good bait additive.

They have a very distinct taste and smell when used raw for bait but when cooked the flavour and smell is very different and it is very oily.

Onto the proper question :)

I found I have been catching more fish this year when I have been putting about a 3/4 kg out ,over each rod, and then keep casting a 4x2 pva bag, filled with pellets and crushed boilies, over the bed of bait every half hour.

Yes I have caught on a single pop up 7" up in 3ft of water but I have caught 10 times as many using the above method in the same depth of water too.

But then again last year most of the Winter Carp I caught were on single 2ft pop ups in 4ft of water and two fish on beds of bait :headhurt::wallbash:

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.