South East rivers

david t

Interesting, I read that article glenn b, thanks, hopefully some extraction of water will be limited, but i still think that as far as water extraxtion goes, then money will be more important to the government than the environment. I think they would rather see rivers dry up than risk upsetting big businesses.

this country is already far too over populated, and if prescott wants to build a load of new homes, like you say vagabond, i reckon this will become a common occurence, we cant just take, take, take all the time. even if the climate was on track, not too mention the fact that its going up the wall.

thanks dave

The River Eden in Kent is painfully low. Currently, it looks like it would in a summer drought; goodness knows what it will look like if we actually get a summer drought. Parts of it will dry out, I reckon, just as happened with the River Darenth in '76.

Worrying situation.

I can't understand why they can't take the water out just above the tidal limit, and pump it back up to the ressies ?

The river has "finished" with the water by then....

Den

Two points. Firstly there is no pipeline for doing so. Would need time and funding. A lot of time and a lot of funding. (Quadruple any government estimate)

Secondly, the water quality of the Medway below Maistone is very different from that draining into Weirwood and the Upper Medway from the Ashdown Sands - unless expensive water treatment were employed, you could say goodbye to the dace, grayling and trout of the upper reaches.

A good idea though - technically possible - but is it economically feasible?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I was at the Anchor in Yalding the last weekend in January. The flow through the sluice was the lowest I've ever seen it. Virtually non-existent.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

The local stream R Gipping is well down, it came close to a flood when the snow melted

The Suffolk Stour is also low but no usual floods

I've lived in the Gipping valley all my life, had a walk along on sunday & its the lowest i've EVER seen it. :huh: