Salmon Fishing in the North East

zimbo

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie up here in the North East (Newcastle) and keen to throw flies at almost anything. I would like to avoid the trout stocked stillwaters and so I'm keen to try my hand at salmon fishing.

So.... any advice on:

1. Learning the basics - spey casting is a new thing for me so need to sort that out.

2. Anyone willing to pass on names of a good instructors as I persume that is where I should start.

3. Considering I'll be probably fishing the Tyne, Coquet and the surrounding rivers, and possibly up into Scotland when ever possible, any ideas on tackle and all that?

Lastly, any advice is always welcome and greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Zimbo

can't spey cast myself, but am going to get lessons as very handy on the south tyne where I'm based.

for the spey cast, if you're not looking at breaking the bank i've had the following recommended, not for aesthetic beauty but because it will help you cast.

14'/15' shakespeare oracle with either a 1d or 2d snowbee line............to be honest I've just copied that down from info someone gave me, still got to find the money for the rod.

if you fancy trying out our waters (6 miles on the south bank), assuming that you don't live near haltwhistle, we have a waiting list, but you can get a day ticket for 25 pounds or a week ticket for £50.

Season visitor fee is £120 but needless to say there's always a waiting list at that price. Jumiors are £15 for the season.

If you are interested get in touch.

For more info re clubs and waters talk to either bagnall and kirkwood on grey street in the centre of newcastle or go to ID tackle on chillingham road, heaton (2 miles out of the centre) where ronnie will be able to help.

Frasers on condercum road in gateshead also know their fly fishing.

For info on where's fishing buy a copy of North East game angler, available from bagnall and kirkwood and probably the others, for £1.20. This will also give you a guide on still waters as well as the rivers.

tight lines

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Before you lash out on "Spey Lines" I would recomend you get a DT line to suit your rod.

You will find it easier to learn with a DT than some of the newer lines.

Also dont be misled by the "WF" title of the new lines, they are not the same profile as a WT trout lines, they have a longer belly on Spey Lines.

I can recomend a good instructor but it may be a bit far to come(Glasgow). Last year I seen him take 3 people that had never used a 15ft rod, I went back an hour or so later and 2 of them were "Snake casting" like they had been doing it for years. In that morning they all became resonable casters, single spey, double spey and snake roll.

It is definately a good a good idea to get an instructor, he can correct faults you are making whereas a mate who can cast may not be able to do this.

"You don't have to be able to spey cast". This is what is usually said by people that can't do it, if you can it will give you another weapon in your armoury and will open up the river to you.

Enjoy it and good luck.

Edited by salmo6934