Yakitys home made grapnal anchor.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Speciman.

I put these up a while back.

They are easy to make and cheap to replace.

Chances of getting them back are better than average.

Use a length of copper pipe 1" about 6/7 inches long.

Buy the wire from good old B&Q 2x lengths per anchor.

Bend the wires to suit, and hold in place in the pipe using a small ball wieght.

Once in the position you need them, fill in one end of the pipe with plastic wood ( twin pack stuff ) using about an inch to block off the pipe.....block off the end where you would attach the chain to thwe anchor.

Then fill from the other end with moulten lead.

Should wiegh about 1 1/2 lbs when finnished.

post-4885-1139757225_thumb.jpg no1

post-4885-1139757362_thumb.jpg no 2

post-4885-1139757421_thumb.jpg no3

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Nice one Yakity.

How much does it work out for a complete system... parts for anchor, rope and chain? The .75kg anchors I use cost about £4 to replace and saves the time needed to put something like that together. I've only lost one but if it became a bi-monthly event :D then making a batch of anchors like you've shown could work out.

Its the cost of the rope thats the 'biggy' for me when losing an anchor. Was thinking of using heavy nylon (as used in crab lines) when fishing over snaggy wrecks. I would have to wear gloves when bringing her up though!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Specimen.

I thought they would be helpfull to you and ZZippy when fishing around the Hood, or other very rough stuff.

For me the only expense is the wire from B&Q.....£2. ( But Im working on that one :lol: )

I get the pipe when Im on site working, and the lead too.

Time wise, I made three of them in about an hour, that was stopping for coffee too :)

Have now made some using stainless pipe ( a gift ) and Brass wire.

It was just a thought.

Re the Nylon instead of the Para cord......if I were you Id proberbly stick with the cord, I would think that the costs would be about the same anyway ?

Worth a try though :)

Could even try a weak link of heavy Nylon at the end of the Para cord, using a heavy duty swivel to join the two, how about strimmer cord ?

Where theres a will and all that :lol:

Be interested to know if you do try a weak link, got me thinking now :rolleyes:

Your design is definitely of interest for use over HMS Hood. If we drop an anchor there we won't get it back. :wallbash: We plan to fish it during the summer so when I get time I could make a load up for the wreck fishing. At only £2 a shot it sounds like it could be worth it .

The line I currently use is 100ft cord on a winder from B&Q/Homebase (about £8 I think). There has to be a cheaper 'disposable solution' for when wreck fishing. The weak link sounds like a great idea and would probably work.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Speciman

Got 100m of mouse line from local chandlery for a tenner. MOuse line is the Yaghties version of para chord. They use it to haul ropes up masts but they dont call them ropes either. :D

Thats £3 per 100ft. Got mine from Alladins Cave in Southampton

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Speciman.

I put these up a while back.

They are easy to make and cheap to replace.

Chances of getting them back are better than average.

Use a length of copper pipe 1" about 6/7 inches long.

Buy the wire from good old B&Q 2x lengths per anchor.

Bend the wires to suit, and hold in place in the pipe using a small ball wieght.

Once in the position you need them, fill in one end of the pipe with plastic wood ( twin pack stuff ) using about an inch to block off the pipe.....block off the end where you would attach the chain to thwe anchor.

Then fill from the other end with moulten lead.

Should wiegh about 1 1/2 lbs when finnished.

post-4885-1139757225_thumb.jpg no1

post-4885-1139757362_thumb.jpg no 2

post-4885-1139757421_thumb.jpg no3

Hiya Bill.Thanks for putting the pics on your post and the details of how to make the anchors.

I have a load of Copper pipe and lead in the Garage.Just have to buy some chain and cord.

Think it will be cheaper for me in the long run if I make my own. :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Zzippy

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi, I ( we !) are new to the group.....I saw in interesting idea on a US site, involved using a butt section from an old rod, with a heavy duty boat reel loaded with very strong line, last few feet/yards were paracord, to an anchor, in that case a home made lead "toblerone" affair. Idea being the rod butt was 'kept' in a rod holder whilst in use & the reel used to release & reclaim the anchor. Given the practicality of storing cord reel's etc. it seemed an worth considering. Any body uding anything loike this or any thought's ? The rod & reel would come for next to nothing.

Hi, I ( we !) are new to the group.....I saw in interesting idea on a US site, involved using a butt section from an old rod, with a heavy duty boat reel loaded with very strong line, last few feet/yards were paracord, to an anchor, in that case a home made lead "toblerone" affair. Idea being the rod butt was 'kept' in a rod holder whilst in use & the reel used to release & reclaim the anchor. Given the practicality of storing cord reel's etc. it seemed an worth considering. Any body uding anything loike this or any thought's ? The rod & reel would come for next to nothing.

Hi there you two.

Welcome to the Mad House.

The more you get into Kayakfishing the more ideas you find, and think of along the way, to make your Kayak Fishing a more enjoyable, and efficient experience.

The idea you have found and posted being one of those ideas.

Richi has made an anchor reel from an old spool he got hold of, added an axel and handle, works a treat.

Its all good fun putting these things together.

Dont know if anyone is using the idea you two found, but it sounds like it works o.k. :)

YY :)