Bivvies

Bonzo

Iam planning some long sessions this year and will need a bivvie, which one should i buy , how easy/quick are they to put up ? looking to spend about £150 ish . only one man version needed unless you advise otherwise.

just one more cast then I'am off home

Iam planning some long sessions this year and will need a bivvie, which one should i buy , how easy/quick are they to put up ? looking to spend about £150 ish . only one man version needed unless you advise otherwise.

JRC STi all the way tbh a rock solid bivvy that will put up with a load of abuse

Cheers guys, I have had a look at the STI they do a single or a twin skin version with not a lot of difference in cost so will probably go for the twin skin version.

Next question, what about a bed and sleeping bag? which would you suggest, I will be fishing from about mid April up until the end of july mid August at the latest.

The twin skin has mesh breather panels set into the roof making it necessary to use the overwrap every time the bivvy is used.

The single skin obviously has no mesh panels, an overwrap is available.

Are you likely to be on the bank often for overnight sessions?

If so go for a decent quality 3 leg bedchair. The JRC bedchairs are decent quality. Depending on your physical size will determine which bedchair you go for. Some are smaller than others.

Bag wise, it looks like you are planning spring and summer sessions. With this in mind, a 3 season sleeping bag with perhaps a bedchair cover should fulfil your requirements. Remember, even in summer it can still get cold in the middle of the night.

Hope it helps mate. :)

Cheers guys, I have had a look at the STI they do a single or a twin skin version with not a lot of difference in cost so will probably go for the twin skin version.

Next question, what about a bed and sleeping bag? which would you suggest, I will be fishing from about mid April up until the end of july mid August at the latest.

I would go for a 3 season and the hood type. I pay around £15\£20 and change it every couple of years. It gets smelly lol

The twin skin has mesh breather panels set into the roof making it necessary to use the overwrap every time the bivvy is used.

The single skin obviously has no mesh panels, an overwrap is available.

Are you likely to be on the bank often for overnight sessions?

If so go for a decent quality 3 leg bedchair. The JRC bedchairs are decent quality. Depending on your physical size will determine which bedchair you go for. Some are smaller than others.

Bag wise, it looks like you are planning spring and summer sessions. With this in mind, a 3 season sleeping bag with perhaps a bedchair cover should fulfil your requirements. Remember, even in summer it can still get cold in the middle of the night.

Hope it helps mate. :)

I will be getting in mostly 2 night sessions, thanks for the advise.

cheers

Currently I have an old Gardner Mangrove bivvy that is incredibly quick to put up - literally less than a minute plus pegging. However, it's not very stable in strong winds.

The JRC STi single skin can have a separate winter wrap added. However, I think I'm right in saying that these don't have see-through panels on the doors.

Can anyone shed any light on this (no pun intended)?

Anyone got any feedback on the new STi R model?

I'm a great fan of JRC bedchairs having found them the most comfortable - very important for me as I have back and neck problems. The 2 leg are lighter and fold up more easily, but the 3 leg are more stable.

As for sleeping bags, I don't feel the cold but do feel the heat. So I use a £15 green oblong bag from Millets that has a two way zip. I also have a JRC waterproof but breathable fleece cover. I find this more flexible than just a heavier sleeping bag. If I felt the cold more I'd probably just buy a second cheap bag to make a third layer.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The JRC STi single skin can have a separate winter wrap added. However, I think I'm right in saying that these don't have see-through panels on the doors.

You are quite correct Steve, the overwrap has just the zip up door way without any windows. Ideal for batening down the hatches in adverse weather. I tend to either fold back the front or simply roll up the door in better weather'

Anyone got any feedback on the new STi R model?
Afraid not Steve, I have heard the extended overwrap is very handy for providing extra room.

I'm a great fan of JRC bedchairs having found them the most comfortable - very important for me as I have back and neck problems. The 2 leg are lighter and fold up more easily, but the 3 leg are more stable.

I own the JRC X-Lite 3 legged bedchair (I don't think they are available now. It's a compact alumnium framed bedchair which is extrememly light and fits in my 1 man STi easily allowing plenty of room for other stuff. Not really suitable for the taller angler though.