To strike or not to strike!

Comus

Hi All,

I took my son out for a nights carp fishing the other evening and throughout the session kept getting single or occassionally a few beeps on my alarms. I don't think that they were line bites and there are some smaller species in the water, so they may have been due to small roach etc struggling to take the baits.

I'm used to rip roaring carp takes at commercial carp fisheries but have heard that some anglers strike on single beeps.

Any views or advice please.

Comus :sun:

Hi All,

I took my son out for a nights carp fishing the other evening and throughout the session kept getting single or occassionally a few beeps on my alarms. I don't think that they were line bites and there are some smaller species in the water, so they may have been due to small roach etc struggling to take the baits.

I'm used to rip roaring carp takes at commercial carp fisheries but have heard that some anglers strike on single beeps.

I never strike on single blips, gave that up long ago fish picking up bait like Bream! Having said that if it keeps on blipping then I do as sometimes you have hooked a small fish.

I never strike on single blips, gave that up long ago fish picking up bait like Bream! Having said that if it keeps on blipping then I do as sometimes you have hooked a small fish.

I have found bream tend to give a drop back bite when using carp gear but that may just be me!!!!!!!!!!

Comus - at any time of year hit anything you feel may be a bite.

Not all carp takes are rip roaring runs.

Carp and Tench can pick up baits and spit them out without you even knowing.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks for the advice.

There are both bream and tench in this water as well as larger carp, so this may explain the single beeps etc..

I usually use bobbins so perhaps an investment in some swingers may be in order re the drop backs.

No need to buy more gear mate just add some extra weight to your bobbins for better drop back indication.

When getting "strange" bites/knocks from carp the first thing I like to establish is if its definately carp doing it! It can be line bites as well as other species dont forget.Once you have established what the problem is you can then deal with it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The sensitivity, hence the amount of bobbin movement will also depend on the type of rig setup. Are you using a running or semi-fixed(bolt) rig? Slack line or tight. The hooklink material and length will also make a difference.

There are so many variables to take into account before you decide the movement is a take or not.

Novice or "experienced,"we all, at some stage face this dilemma.

You can see the movement on the indicator interpreting what the rig is doing is the key.

Oh! Bugger that, just hit it! ;)

Hi All,

wot harm will it be to lift in2 some of these single bleeps mite put a few extra fish on the bank....fish prob not as activ at this time of year so could be just mouthing your baits.....

I echo what Budgie says. Next time I see you around Wingham I'll show you my homemade bobbins and you can probably adapt your's in a similar way. I prefer bobbins for bream fishing as, provided your rods are set high, they're much better for showing dropbacks - these are very common with bream.

I do also use Fox Pike Swingers that I prefer when fishing open bail arm, be it for pike, perch or carp. I'll have those on me as well.

There are pros and cons of each, and up to a point it's a matter of personal preference.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net