Should Whitings be banned from Club competitons and open matches ?

Guest @Winter@

I disagree with your point that It's only those who struggle to keep up when the fishing gets fast and furious that ask for certain baits and fish to be banned. You are corredct on one point the banning of certain fish. However, the banning of certain baits such as White Rag would benefit all. I and many other match anglers based on the south coast are in favour of bait bans and I can assure you that when the fishing is fast and furious for Whiting, Rockling, Pout Gars etc you will not see me struggling to keep up. Anyway, in those situations bait is not to important as fish are competing for food, it is more about confidence and time management and bait management. When there are lots of fish you can use smaller baits etc. The basic rule of thumb is that if you wind in a treble shot you left it out to long. One ten minute cast may catch three fish however, two 4 minute casts or less may catch 3 fish or 6 fish.

I beleive nearly all big fish caught in matches are luck are as they are rarely targeted, down here targeting big fish would lead to a blank most of the time.

Garfish, I do agree with some of your points. For instance, the banning of some baits. Whites, as you say, are very localised and often need to be dug on several tides to get enough. You either need to be single, divorced, or rich to hav a decent supply of whites! But the same could be said for reds. Most, if not all, the estuaries I know of within driving distance of where I live have a bait digging bye-law. So what are we to do to keep up with the singles, divorcees and the rich? I for one do not wish to break the law to be able to compete!

The point I made about anglers unable to keep up when the fishing is fast, has been bourne out time after time. 15 years ago there was a flourishing Zziplex league on the south coast. Every match attracted over 30 teams of five. There were no bait bans. There were lots of fish. But the same teams and anglers kept scooping the top spots and the dosh. Consequently, Mr. Average from Team Nags Head decides he is wasting 50 quid every fortnight so decides to quit. There is no league now!!

What I am trying to say is, no matter what you ban, be it bait, species etc. the best anglers will always come out on top.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Garfish, how times have changed, you seem to have a very short memory. Only a few years ago when you lived on the coast you went to every match with enough bait to sink a battleship, but now you live well inland and are only allowed out once on a weekend (hehehe) you have certainly changed your tune.

Yes, you are right about major International matches, they should be pegged and bait supplied to put everyone on an equal playing field, but in in a normal open, not a chance. The only chance the average angler has of beating someone of your standard is either by getting on the beach early to grab a prime spot or by putting the time and effort in an getting some extra bait or perhaps landing a bigger single fish but in your case that’s difficult because you have a reputation of getting more than your fair share of a biggies:-).

If all matches were bait supplied attendances would tumble, for starters the average chap will turn up to a match with a fivers worth of bait while on the other hand you personally would need at least treble that amount (£32 on Sunday me thinks), start charging anglers £15 for bait and then another £15 or £20 to enter the match and just see what that does to a match entry.

In my opinion you need a cross section of events to appeal to as many as possible, roving, zoned, pegged and some bait supplied matches will all have place, its pretty simple really, they will only prove successful it anglers keep turning up but if they vote with their feet like Stavey match fishing will die, how I am feeling at the mo I don’t really care either way!!!!!!!

Oh Garfish, how times have changed, you seem to have a very short memory. Only a few years ago when you lived on the coast you went to every match with enough bait to sink a battleship, but now you live well inland and are only allowed out once on a weekend (hehehe) you have certainly changed your tune.

Yes, you are right about major International matches, they should be pegged and bait supplied to put everyone on an equal playing field, but in in a normal open, not a chance. The only chance the average angler has of beating someone of your standard is either by getting on the beach early to grab a prime spot or by putting the time and effort in an getting some extra bait or perhaps landing a bigger single fish but in your case that’s difficult because you have a reputation of getting more than your fair share of a biggies:-).

If all matches were bait supplied attendances would tumble, for starters the average chap will turn up to a match with a fivers worth of bait while on the other hand you personally would need at least treble that amount (£32 on Sunday me thinks), start charging anglers £15 for bait and then another £15 or £20 to enter the match and just see what that does to a match entry.

In my opinion you need a cross section of events to appeal to as many as possible, roving, zoned, pegged and some bait supplied matches will all have place, its pretty simple really, they will only prove successful it anglers keep turning up but if they vote with their feet like Stavey match fishing will die, how I am feeling at the mo I don’t really care either way!!!!!!!

Well said.

Do I know you?! :)

Just been looking at something about points sysytems.

In this club 5 rocklings are worth more than a 5 pound cod.

http://www.nesa.co.uk/modules.php?op=modlo...thread&tid=8871

Winter,

the current SAMF system is by far the best measure & return system available as it gives points roughly equvalent to weight. Using the system 5 x 20cm Rockling would be worth 35 points (350g or 70g per fish) a 60cm Cod is worth 200 points (2kg). Not perfect but is fair and all fish go back alive. If you pm me your e mail address I will send a copy.

As to your earlier comment regarding level playiong fields: Casting is an angling skill that anyone can learn for nothing anywhere there spsace or a beach. Not everyone has access to Whites.

Guest @Winter@

Wouldnt dream of presenting it to our lot Paul. Too many old timers stuck in their ways m8. He who shouts longest and loudest and points the most always wins in our club, Dont think I would even get the word "change" out before steam would be coming from their ears.

I do like to know what happens in other places and wether or not their methods work however. I am starting to get the feeling we are years behind in many ways. A fishing club with no rules on paper for reference - Who would believe that.

Wouldnt dream of presenting it to our lot Paul. Too many old timers stuck in their ways m8. He who shouts longest and loudest and points the most always wins in our club, Dont think I would even get the word "change" out before steam would be coming from their ears.

I do like to know what happens in other places and wether or not their methods work however. I am starting to get the feeling we are years behind in many ways. A fishing club with no rules on paper for reference - Who would believe that.

I think there is still a good cod fishing a whitby its just a bit harder these days .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg