Invaluable Information For Dorset Yakfishermen

richi

Terry,

I have the Dive South Devon book all ready mentioned and another book called Lyme Bay wrecks.

Lyme Bay wrecks is sadly out of print now . It listed every wreck in Lyme bay by name, G P S way points , depth of water , condition of wreck , cargo at the time of sinking, and in most cases the number of the U Boat that sunk each ship , a fantastic read . However, bad news on the wreck front for our corner of Lyme bay on a kayak. The nearest wreck is about six miles out :wallbash:

Edited by chuggs

no worries Chuggs-Dive Dorset covers from lyme bay to christchurch bay :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

There is also a dive kent book the gps positions are not in metric, but imperial you need to convert the last 3 digits ,it only makes a small diffrence, i will try to find the calculation to convert, this is for dive kent i would think others the same. COLIN

to convert numbers which are in 60ths to decimal, which GPS use, divide the last two didgets by 6 then multiply by 10, so a position of 50 50 30N becomes 50 50 50N -thats a nice easy one, 50 50 03N would become 50 50 04999999N, which you will enter or 50 50 05N . All the 'dive' books have been arounnd for a while. Most are 'metric' but some, dive kent being one of them, are not. This is clearly stated on page 7 of dive kent in 'how to use this book' and is clear in all other such books.

Hi Chuggs, that about sums up my luck, but there must be a few places that can be got to by kayak that have not been fished to death, or are non boat fishing. I have been thinking of having a go at getting that counger you had when I get back from taking things to france late next week, thats if there is a window in the weather. How did your hoilday fishing go, any good ????????.

PS if you take a look at the map link above there looks to be a few wreaks worth looking at.

Also richi are there any interesting marks in your new book????

terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi Terry, that conger is still down there . I have to say, Jon and I lost several large fish in the rocks that day, a price payed for using spinning rods I guess . Definitely on my list of marks for next year , maybe slightly heaver gear next time.!!!

In the processes of sorting a week in Kerry in the summer , this time with the yak , it's an area just screaming out to be attacked by yak. Fly fishing for big pollack is a must do this year.

Hi Chuggs, went to kerry a number of years ago, great place, expensive but just great. I am planing to use a small boat rod for that counger with a macky bait, I know crabs better but just can,t get round killing a living animal to catch another, The bait I have is long dead, and not by my hand Anyway will be having ago, and testing the fish finder out at the same time. But I must say Lucky you re Kerry . Great fishing and great beer :):) . Hope to hear all about it, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

There are quite a few of these books around, covering most of the British coast, I've skippered for a few dive clubs , I'm also an ex commercial and mixed gas diver and I've dived extensively off the South-West , so believe when I tell you , if you use those lat and longs in that series of books you wont hit metal . It could put you in the ball park on some of them , but others are as much as 5nm out . If you check the Lloyds registar you'll see the author has copied those.