Des Taylors Usual Tripe?

Sharkbyte

Hello Ken

the second is kids, as a younster I had plenty of spots I could fish in fresh water without a licence or permit. Today every square inch of fresh water is owned by clubs or private individuals and kids have been deprived in my books of the care free attitude that fishing should give.

With this I am in total agreement with you, I concider this one of the main reasons for the decline in fresh water anglers.

do you think with sea fishing licences and policing, A club or sydicate could be allowed in the future to have the fishing rights therefor the role of policing a pier or a stretch of beach even a estuary?

Not a wind up, just a thought.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Licences, 'who, when and how'??? Simple, curent licence should extend to 'Sea and Fresh Water', juniors can pay a nominal fee, perhaps a £2, gives them a sence of value, they have to go and get it??? Juniours can fish official club (that they are a member) water without needing a licence? Simplistic? yes, but why does everything have to be so complicated?

I remember my informative years, learning to fish in the 50's, same as Ken and Wurzel, 'licences', 'no fishing' never used to take much notice of those signs, even remember the older guys helping us young'uns, give a few maggots, a hook . . . good God, dont see that these days. Be missconstrewed as improper contact??? The one I do remember we treated with reverance was on a trout river called the 'Gade'. We used to go to a bridge and look over, there were two trout that held stations behing a large rock. They held there for years, untill one day we went to look, only one, the second one disapered the same year, mid fifties, they were probaby browns? Never saw anyone fish that stretch in those early days.

Kids see things larger than life, but I believe those two trout were doubles?? Ironicaly, I held a synicate rod for a couple of years on the same stretch of the Gade 40 years later, a 5lb brownie was the biggest I took. Whilst it was by then stocked with rainbows, browns were wild!

However, it was things like those two trout that dreams were made of for me. These days, one rerly if ever sees such sights, usualy through 'no access' signs!

:ph34r:

Hello CJS2

but why does everything have to be so complicated?

The need to manage brigade thats why.

Hi mate,

Yeha, jobs for the boys?? If only good sence could would prevail :clap: no chance!

Cliff

I realise the Magna Carte says something about fishing rights between the high and low water marks. Could someone inform me if this is actually a law and if so could our government rewrite it if they so wished. JUst how much clout has something from the 13 th centuary got.

Sharkbyte I am amazed at how many people complain so bitterly about things but are prepared to do nothing other than moan. However it is a free country.

Firstly it is not a free country! we are bound by its laws and customs, regarding the Magna Carta as far as I can see: http://www.bl.uk/treasures/magnacarta/translation.html it talks about removing fish weirs (but that was in aid of navgation). Nothing about fishing from beaches I'm afraid! so is that just an urban myth?

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I agree with that, but which pot would it vanish into and what about all of the e-bay sales?

The same pot that the £63M VAT, they allready get, goes into. If you are VAT registered then you have to charge VAT and you claim back the VAT you have been charged. Simple enough?

You say jobs for the boys, now if RSAs were employed in the same way as it happens in the freshwater scene it would be a few good jobs for the right boys.

Now it's coming out! Jobs (Hundreds of them, from the figures that have been put about) for people who can't earn a living in proper wealth producing jobs.

That is the main issue policing it, the second is kids, as a younster I had plenty of spots I could fish in fresh water without a licence or permit. Today every square inch of fresh water is owned by clubs or private individuals and kids have been deprived in my books of the care free attitude that fishing should give.

Every square inch of land has always been owned by someone! The RSA clubs have just grabbed the chance to enforce it's protection.

How many holiday makers will impulse-buy a small rod (or rods) for the kids and get them hooked on angling if they know the likes of Sam Cox (and his dad) are hovering about on the pier to make them buy a license?

A sea angling license is just another tax for the benefit of non-productive third rate school prefects!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Firstly it is not a free country! we are bound by its laws and customs, regarding the Magna Carta as far as I can see: http://www.bl.uk/treasures/magnacarta/translation.html it talks about removing fish weirs (but that was in aid of navgation). Nothing about fishing from beaches I'm afraid! so is that just an urban myth?

dan

There is a fundamental right to navigate and take fish, up any river as far as it is navigable.

(Ilchester V Rashley and others: August 10th 1889)

Hello Ken

........snipped

do you think with sea fishing licences and policing, A club or sydicate could be allowed in the future to have the fishing rights therefor the role of policing a pier or a stretch of beach even a estuary?

Not a wind up, just a thought.

There are several piers/estuaries which are already under the control of fishing clubs, generally the pre-requisite for this to happen is that the pier is in private ownership.

My favourite was the Admiralty Pier at Dover. The last I heard was you can either get a full membership around £15pa or a one-off trip at £6. It's a few years since I fished there last but they used to have a 'burger bar' on the pier, toilets and the place was kept clean. The fishing was pretty fine too.

Of course for fee paying to be acceptable to most anglers, there of course must be fish there to catch. Dover used to attract 20,000+ per year, so if you can create the right physical and fishing environments you can be sure people will use and pay for it, but there has got to be fish there to make it work.

Indeed Steve - it's just as anglers we cannot expect the government to shell out the compensation for the commercials in advance of us paying a licence.

If the government turned around and said from June 1st new legislation will stop commercials fishing within a mile but a £40 sea fishing licence will be introduced I'd have no problem with it - even though it will cost me five, ten or more years before seeing the results.

Licensing is definitely the way to go in my opinion - and again - defining a proper fishery body to manage both coarse and sea angling (taking coarse angling off the environment agency) is also an immediate need.

If i thought for one minute the money from a licence would be used to improve or even better police the already exsisting rules I would pay but of course we all know no such thing would happen.

It was stated that £3M would be available for conservation from a £20 a year license.

With 1.1M sea anglers that's £19M going in administration to collect it, mostly employing the local jobsworths!

Now do you see why I reckon adjusting the VAT rate would be better?