LIVBAITING, (Good or bad?)

sam-cox

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Feb 22 2006, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: In America one of the top baits is a live mullet, second best is mullet fillet, imagine what the NMC would say if it became common practice over here. :clap:

I have seen people take string after string of small bass. I see people target schoolies for the pot. If they were to take just one and livebait with it, to target a much larger fish, then I see this as positive step forward.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen people take string after string of small bass. I see people target schoolies for the pot. If they were to take just one and livebait with it, to target a much larger fish, then I see this as positive step forward.

Sorry Stoaty, I don't agree. There is nothing positive in seeing idiots with rods using small bass in pursuit of the larger specimens. God forbid they found the technique to be successful way of catching the decent specimens there is no reason to believe that they would return any one of them either.

I'd rather they carry on bagging the little ones with the very real possibility of them being the subject of a successful prosecution in the future for taking any undersized fish.

On a slightly different note, I have never felt so disappointed as just lately in the sheer amount of berks in this sport. Having taken a break from the sea fishing until sport picks up I have witnessed much of the same greed, stupidity and ignorance in coarse fishing as I have done on the coast. It seems as if Pike and Perch are the preferred diet and in some cases mortal enemy of a large proportion of the anglers and river users I have encountered. Stories of 20lb plus Pike being dispatched, ' can I have that pike to eat', 'why don't you just throw the pike up the bank mate, I do', 'Perch taste lovely!'.

Give me strength, do these peasants walk around the entire supermarket and walk out empty handed because they can't find anything tastier than a bloody Pike or Perch to eat.

There is something positive in it. Imagine the damage these people do hooking strings of schoolies on feathers. If they livebaited with one it may last them a couple of hours. I dread to think how many schoolies are ripped off the hook and put into tesco bags to be taken home in the time a livebaits out. Theres no way I am going to have a dig at an angler who has taken one for bait, when this type of carnage goes on. Sad thing is it's not just uneducated anglers off the beach and pier that do this, but charterboat skippers drifting around over the shoals.

What about the cuting the live baits tail off debate?

There is no dout this can induce a large bass to attack your bait.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

We use livebaiting for tope when the fish are picky with dropped runs etc. They are more likely to swallow something wriggling (doesn't work on the missus though Lol)

Some days they are the only bait touched, other days it makes no difference.

I am not sure it is a good topic for an open forum as we don't need to give the antis any more information

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

What about the cuting the live baits tail off debate?

There is no dout this can induce a large bass to attack your bait.

Your right it does, I was first shown this by a Brightlingsea skipper in the late 70's. It is where I draw my personal line. If I don't get a take I can release the livebait. Cut it's tail off and I can't do that.

I am not sure it is a good topic for an open forum as we don't need to give the antis any more information

I disagree strongly Ian, this is a angling forum a place to debate all things angling. My conscience is clear where it comes to using live baits weather with out a tail. I would put my point to any anti any time.

The day we stop talking of live bateing on a angling forum is the day I syne out of hear!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!