A BIT PUZZLED

Hake

As a guide I watch people struggle with very simple things as they are getting started. Now I personally don't keep rods forward, but I do keep my gaff and a club in forward flush mounts on my P15. Getting forward is actually simple. You need to take your hamstrings (or belly) out of the equation and that is as simple as dropping your feet into the water. The photo below is of a client of mine fighting a fish, this position gives you more stability and better leverage when on the bigger fish, and also allows you to roll forward, no longer fighting your own body to do so.

August_26_016.sized.jpg

Right now our water is 56 F and I use the same technique when in Alaska where the ware was mid forty's. It is just a matter of having the correct paddling clothing. I must admit I do like the water we get on our Baja trips a bit more. There the water is closer to 80 or 85.

Below is a shot of one of the guys in Northern California with a couple of salmon. The water up there is very chilly.

Joel_Lotilla.sized.jpg

Get yourself some dry gear and some good warm layers underneith and the water temp is no issue.

Here is a photo of my friend Howard up in Alaska, now that is F'n cold.

snow_yakin.jpg