A BIT PUZZLED

Hake

Hi All,

I got my new P13 yesterday. Its a bright yellow NZ one, and is now happily tucked up in my garage.

When I got it home I had to have a sit in it, just to get acquainted you uunderstand......what with this being my first venture into kayaking and all.

Now, I'm six ft tall and so have a reasonably good reach. But, when sitting in the yak seat and leaning forward its a real strugglt to reach the moulding for the Scotty mounting bracket. So, in other words I think that, once I have the yak rigged, its going to be difficult to reach the rods in their holders from the seat.

I've been browsing the forum for a while now and have yet to hear of anyone else voicing the same concern, so perhaps I'm just being a prat (novice !) and missing something obvious.

Can anyone help me with this dilemma ?

Thanks. Mike.

I thought it was just a shorty like me that had that prob.

Thats why I built my own holders that come off a boom from my crate. ONe either side its like fishing from an arm chair. I will post some pics next week once the crate is finished.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I can see that arrangement working well if you're fishing side-saddle, but wouldn't it be tricky if sitting in the seat facing forward...as the rods would be behind you ?

I wouldn't fancy fishing side-saddle when the water's really baltic :(

No its designed to allow you to fish forward.

Imagine a rotating boom that can be angled out to the side or forward at about 45 degrees. This puts the rod just in front of your shoulder at arm pit height when facing forward. A standard adjustable boat rod holder (like a Scotty) on the end of the boom allows ultimate adjustment. Sounds complicated but Ive tried scotty and flush mounts and this beats them hands down. It also leaves the front of the yak clear except for fishfinder. The same holder can be used for both fishing forward and trolling just swing the boom.

Having a SPTW (or parts there of) sitting side saddle is not the ideal fishing position. So the system is designed to fish forward or swing it back for trolling. It also keeps the reel higher out of the water.

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Starvinmarvin would be able to give you the best answer having fitted the mounting bracket to the AnglersAfloat Project Prowler

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hake are you talking about the scotty mount just behind the hatch, if so yep it's a stretch, but like already said, if your sitting side saddle, which even when the sea is lumpy is very comfortable, then there is no problem, I have to admit that I only carry a full rack of rods if fishing a tournament or going to spend a long time on the water and might want to try different tactics, otherwise I stick to one or two rods, usually both in the flush mounts behind me whilst paddling, when at anchor or drifting I always hold one rod and the other locked in a holder with the baitrunner on free spool. If carrying a fly rod then a single scotty fly rod mount up front.

On the Caper reaching the Scotty Triple mount is a lot easier and only needs a slight shuffle forward.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I've got mounts for my rodholders on bars at the front of the footwell and another set just by my ankles. It is a reach to get to the rodholders at the front but basically I don't need to reach that far, I just grab hold of the butt and lift the rod out. I used to use my uptide rods but I stopped using them as the butt was so long they were getting in my way all the time.

Hi Hake.

Different strokes for different folks.

Rig your Kayak the way you think will be the most comfortable, and efficient to fish.

On a personal note, I like to keep the forward area of the cockpit clear, as this is where most of the action takes place, plus,if I need a stretch, I can have one without too many obstructions.

A crate can be used to good effect at the rear of the Kayak, with the addition of a little pipework you have good storage for rods and other bits.

Its just another option.

Have a look at the pic of my girl, you will see that the pipework in the crate faces forward, which allows easy reach of my rods, and leaves the paddling arch free.

post-4885-1140991530_thumb.jpg

YY :)

The crate

post-4885-1140991742_thumb.jpg

Thanks all. As usual aa mine of useful and helpful information.

Before now, in preparation for getting the yak, I have been reading around the subject, both here, on Anglers Afloat and elsewhere. Some of the ingenuity I've seen is remarkable. However, being green, I naively expected that if I just bought the "proper" kit it would all work out just great. So, it came as a surprise to find the "reach" problem.

I guess I'll just have to invest more time and effort in getting just what suits me and building something to suit. It'll be fun though !

Over the weekend I enjoyed a paddle on the back lawn. :) Can't wait to get into the water !!