new to all this kayaking, hello and help

jonsok1

hi

i've just got myself a malibu 2 with the intention of just messing about from my local beaches (paignton), then i came across kayak fishing articles and now i just can't wait till the weather improves, i've been a fisherman all my life but not in recent years, so the prospect of fishing marks you just can't reach by foot or boat really appeals to me, what i need help with is this , being totally new to kayaking, i havent even been out yet , so what equipment would you recomend to start with,what i have at the moment is the kayak ,paddles,wetsuit, a splash cag, thats it !

what sort of clothing do you wear, what safety equipment do i need,

any help would be appreciated

many thanks

jon

Hello Jon

Welcome to the home of the crazy crowd. :)

It looks like the Devon fleet is getting bigger by the day.

Yakity-yak lives near you,he is a wealth of knowlage.All on this forum are very friendly and should be able to help you out.

You could start by looking on Starvin Marvins site.There is alot of good advice on it about safety.

Here is the link.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Kayak%20Safety.html

Have fun.

Zzippy :thumbs:

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Hi Jon

Welcome. For summer fishing your current clothing sounds fine. For cold weather (winter) consider a dry pants/dry top combi or a drysuit. See the thread currenly in full flow.

You have got some way to go on the safety side. To get a feel recommend you look at the safety section on www.anglersafloat.co.uk.

Soon there are going to so many of you down your way you will be able to link all together and walk all the way to Jersey :D:D:D

Looks like Zzippy beat me to it. Hows that for service.

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I'm off lads to open a kayak shop in Devon there is squillions of customers :clap2: seriuosly jaksak you should try to get along to the meet the Devon lads are having soon :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Welcome Jon

For the moment I would forget about the fishing side of things and concentrate on the must have safety items. Depending on your circumstances you may have to prioritise when buying your kit. You've got the yak, paddle and clothing suited for warmer waters. If you're only planning to paddle during the warmer water months I suggest the next item you buy is a bouyancy aid (I wouldn't leave home without it), then dry bag or a dry case if you have a mobile phone (if you don't consider buying one or better a VHF radio so you can make fast contact with the coastguard and other radio users ). Ideally you will need all the items on the safety list at www.anglersafloat.co.uk (as Darnsarf mentioned) including flares, compass, etc .

Starvinmarvin (creator of AnglersAfloat) has just received a new Malibu 2 XL. Keep an eye on his site as he will be rigging his Malibu 2 XL soon and will be publishing a rigging guide. This should give you some tips on how to rig yours.

Good luck.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

If you want to go out for a paddle durring the week I am aroudn most times and only live in exmouth so not to far away. Just PM me. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)