6 mph SE for saturday 11th BUT swell!?

kishkash

Dudes

Contrary to earlier weather reports in the week it seems like we are gonna get a little saturday joy in terms of wind. 6mph SE

my easiest venue is putsborough which is sheltered from swell normally but i think there could be a couple of foot this weekend.

any tips on launching thru surf? what are the limits? what do i have to look out for?

read the US sites on this but they didnt go into too much detail.

cheers

kish

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kishkash

A P13 will handle 2ft swell no problems. The best tip is to hit the wave head on and power through it. Read the waves let the bigger ones go, no medals. Look for areas where the breakers just fade out rather than break. You are more likely to have problems on the way back in. Again power is the key but stay in control of your tracking this time staying stern on to the wave. Problems arise when the wave hits you at an angle and trys to turn you.

If this is your first trip then err on the side of caution, if in doubt dont go out. Take the P13 out for an unladen paddle just to get used to her preferebly with a partner. Diffcult to advise as Im not sure of your experience or the location. Remember "Paddle safely, live to have fun".

If you are taking rods out stow them securely and remove any hooks/rigs while launching and landing.

The limit is you and your experience and paddling skill level. You are unlikly to out paddle the yaks abilities. But when you are making those kind of decisions always ask what if.....

I go over? Where will i end up?

I get rolled? Are there any dangerous rocks or under water structures etc

I lose the paddle? How will I get back to shore (tide etc.)

Dont want to be too melodramatic because a little bit of adrenaline is a good thing.

When Richi and me launched from Lulworth a novice Yakker saw us off stating that he thought we were mad to go out in those conditions.. Me and Richi spent half an hour watching the breakers, picking a route and concluded we could launch with our experience. But the novice was right........ for him.

Enjoy

Paul

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Totally agree with Darnsarf,you must plan your trips with your experience in mind,as you know from your surfing days Kitkash the sea can be a very dangerous place indeed.The day that Darnsarf mentioned-anyone inexperienced would have certainly come a cropper.I really am worried at the amount of newbies that will be taking up the sport this year-I think it may not be long before a kayakfisherman will feature in the BBC coastguard programme unless people paddle within their limits.Another thing that Darnsarf forgot to mention but he greatly avocates is to always have a plan b and c as far as venues are concerned or different exit points,forward planning for a trip is always better done slowly and thoroughly.Another thing is Safety Equipment.Are you taking flares, will you have a VHF radio on board,will you inform the coastguard where and when you're going and when you will return-----all 3 things I bet many a novice doesn't even realise their significance.

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

How can I forget plan B. Or maybe I was trying to forget plan B.

One thing Richi forgot to mention. Always wear a funny hat

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi Kitkash

Some good advice given here. I've been into kayak fishing about a year now and consider myself a novice (on both the paddling and yak fishing side of things) so you're not alone. I'm finding that my launches go far smoother than the landings which I don't look forward to when the waves are up (especially at this time of year).

There are a few things I weigh up (common sense) when I'm picking my route back in. First is the depth near the shore waterline. If the conditions are the same along the beach I'll try and land in a shallow part for obvious reasons (if I get dunked theres more chance of standing not treading water and getting the yak back).

People - not so relevant for this time of year but try to find a quiet area .. if you do dunk you're yak could hit poor Tommy on his lilo :D

Try and select a part where the waves are not as high (common sense) and away from any groynes. When you've decided to go for it, don't look back at the wave coming up on your @rse and don't try to outpaddle it just go with. If you feel like the wave is pushing you to one side dig your paddle into the wave on the side which is leaning over. Had to do this last Sunday despite the waves only being a couple of feet and just stopped a dunking. The Caper is not good in the surf.

Good luck if you do head out.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

One other thing to note is that, at least for Poole Bay, the fishing won't be pleasant when the surf is up. Compared to where I fished in Wales last year, we seem to get smaller waves but with a higher frequency - easier for me to feel sick in.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I personally would recommend that everyone has some basic tuition in yak handling or at least buys a British Canoe Union guide book and practices some of the simple support stroke and self recovery exercises.

Heres a challenge first person to screw roll a sit on top. :wheelchair::doh::D

I can get halfway

Edited by darnsarf

Hi chaps

much appreciated advice.

i do have a keen sense of self preservation so will be embarking having read various articles on safety including daves great section on anglers afloat.

although i have been around the sea most of my life and surfed since i was a kid im aware that handling one of these beasts is a different story, especially in surf.

at the moment im only going around 200 yds off the beach but around 30 yds at any time from the headland. im relying on my mobile phone at the moment in a water tight bag but would like any recommendations on a handheld vhf.

I agree with you richi about the number of people that are joining the sport this season (me being one of them) that are blindly paddling off into the wide blue yonder and i think we will see one on "seaside rescue".

I just consider myself lucky/sensible enough to have found this friendly community.

as for the hat....

...my choice is the fez every time ;)

cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

On a positive note, I found out recently that the guys at White Water Consultancy have been printing off the AnglersAfloats Safety Pages and giving them to new purchasers of Angling Kayaks, especially those they know are going to hit the ocean.

I'm more than happy if other dealers wanted to do this, the information is there for everyone to use.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com