Deep Gloom - Advice Sought

flynny2

Hi Guys

Gutted I couldn't make the meet in Kenford, the cars fine, typical "ladies" worlds gonna end type car problem, something and nothing, but hey where would we be without the fairer sex, anyway it's sorted.

I intended to chat to the Deb'n beys in particular due to their local knowledge and experience of local waters, although I'm sure other members will have a view.

Here's the problem.

Many moons ago, when I was younger and lighter, I sustained quite a serious football injury, smashed collar bone and dislocated shoulder. Certain positions, lifting, reaching etc can almost dislocate the shoulder. You can guess what's coming next.

Having taken the Tarpon 140 out three times now (great craft), on each occaision there has been a point when I could almost feel the shoulder rotating (about to dislocate) especially when paddling against a wave with my right arm. If this happened any distance from shore I could have a problem, putting it mildly.

Mindfull of this when I bought the Tarpon, I bought a new marinised electric outboard and have adapted a crate to take the motor. I know a couple of people have experimented with motors, and I have read extensively on the subject through the US boards, but I'm not sure that all that messing about prior to launch wouldn't make the problem potentially worse.

My question is:- Before I start adapting the hull with turnbuckles to secure the crate. Should I cut my losses, sell the motor and Tarpon instead looking at something like the Hobie.

I am well aware of the safety issues at stake but no way am I giving up the sport, either way I will probably onle go out with other people.

Your thoughts

regards

Flynny

Hi Flynny,

Sorry you couldn't make it on Wednesday - I'm sure we'll see you the next time we go out for a fish. I'm happy to let you have a go in my Hobie. Chuggs is also interested in trying it out as well.

I'll persuade one of you to get one eventually!!! :P Great piece of kit if you want to have a bacon roll and a cup of tea while trolling! No wonder I'm so out of shape :doh:

I'll let you know when we are going to meet up.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Dave A

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

:( Hi Flynny.Sorry to hear about your injury.

I agree with Dave in that the hobie may solve your problem.

I live just down the road from you at stibb cross.I've got a Hobie outback which you are more than welcome to have a go of and check out if this will help.I'll be about for this weekend.

I also wanted to meet the other deb'n beys at the recent meet but was unable to due to having contracted Bronchitus.(it could in fact be bird flu as i can't park my car and keep talkink b******s :lol: )In any case i was also gutted i could'nt go. :bicycle: If you can't paddle then peddle.

All the best,Spuds

Hobie Mirage Outback.

I know this mite be a bit like locking the stable door after the Horse has bolted but this may be of interest to you Flynny..... http://www.useakayak.org/shoulder_safety.html

It may be a little different for sit in vs SOT, but it does highlight how easy it could be for any of us to suffer a similar injury if we're not careful.

Ped

Nice link Ped. After reading that article, given the way the shoulder joint works us kayak fishermen would also need to be careful when reaching back for stuff in our tankwells. Twisting the torso and keeping the elbow below the shoulder level whilst we grab our anchors etc should help things.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Bit of a traditionalist so normally dont push the Hobie. This, however, is a classic case where the Hobie has a place. Flynny take a serious look at the beast and if it keeps you on the water then go for it and well done Hobie.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)