Flying gaff

Guest @Winter@

I have just been looking at this weeks anglers mail, there is a piece in there on blue marlin fishing. They catch and release the fish but they do not use gaffs!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been looking at this weeks anglers mail, there is a piece in there on blue marlin fishing. They catch and release the fish but they do not use gaffs!

An amazing thing with marlin is that nature fitted them out with nice handy handles to hold the fish with, things like fins and a bill, also when they tag and release they only take the very basic of data, i.e. tag number, location, approx size... the main source of data comes from when the fish is recaptured, almost always by commercials which means they only ever get the one full data set from any fish.. not the ideal situation in a tagging programme.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Now thats just the info I wanted Davy, a good reasonable answer.

I take it skate being flat and a bit slimey would be verry difficult to land by hand.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I made my own cliff gaff. I used 3 big hooks bound together to make a big treble hook. You put a large split ring at the top and a 6 ounce weight underneath to get the treble down. I will ask my girlfriend to take a picture of it and I will post it up for you to look at.