What have I been missing?

Guest Silver Back

Dugg the Nikon D100 SLR this morning. A friend wanted some pics of the saloon on his boat. My lazey option Canon S50, was not sutiable, only having an equvilent lense of 35mm, got 24mm on the Nikon. Wow, SLR v compact, there is no comparison, the handling, its like driving a Rolls Royce compared to a Ford. However, the Nikon is very unforgiving compared with the P&S, messed up on a few shots, 'I' got it wrong! What an awakening, I have not used the 'D' SLR since well befor Christmas, how much I had forgotten. The one thing a fancy camera canot do is make a good picture out of bad settings, thats down to the button pusher. A few on site have changed over or use 'D' SLR's did you find that it was a leap forward in handling?

MJsaloon.jpg

Just a quick sample of the pics of my mates boat of the saloon, he has produced a real atmosphere down their.

:ph34r: CJS2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came from Nikon F5's so it was a step sideways for some things, back for some and forwards for others.

Handling and focus was backwards, sideways... they're just camera's and forwards, you can check that things are right and have full control over the final image

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Looks comfy but I really, really hope the boat never goes to sea or if it does, he makes sure the water is FAC.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Looks comfy but I really, really hope the boat never goes to sea or if it does, he makes sure the water is FAC.

The stove is not used at sea, but very cosey when he is on shift, works in the marina. I was going to put a stove in mine but decided against it because of the fire hazards. By the way, his boat is 'Fero' construction!

:ph34r:

As in "ferro concrete"? If so, that is an interesting material for a sea going boat. Resistant to almost any of the nastys that sea water does to most substances.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's a strange looking boat.

Cliff - do you ever visit Woodbridge? There are a few there that would probably resemble that one inside.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Newt, yes mate Fero as in . . . A much forgoten material for boat building, the search for speed has made 'fero' a no interest material, but as you say, do the job right plastering the matrix, and it will out live us all?

Elton, Woodbridge, Pinmill, Brightlingsea, all got boats with this old lived in style. Make a comp title, 'By-gon transport', or 'on the water'? We love the traditional aproach, not that 'Fero' constuction would be ones first thougts of 'traditional', but its the atmosphere the owner can create, Brass, wood, pictures and fitting. Below is a picture of my own boats saloon, fairly modern glass construction, but the use of wood inside gives her that traditional air, very photogenic to.

saloon-e.jpg

Cliff :ph34r:

Guest Finepix

Ah it looks great. Reminds me of a houseboat, which I've always fancied living in.

Is that 'house' next to the sink a tea cosy?

:)

Looks like the cover for a "pop up" toaster.

Yes Finepix, the main feature on 'KT' is constant hot running 'tea' :lol: Behind is a a full 4 burner hob and under is the fitted oven and grill. We also have hot and cold running water, and a double sink. I like it old and cossy, but I do like some modern home cumforts :hypocrite:

The whole idea is that we can creep off down the river, where its quiet, think of the picture opotunities, at bird chirp, I get up to do some bass fishing but the birds and wild life, its a stunning setting, the sun rising over the trees, an early morning mist gently rises from the water, puttin that eire 'Hammer' feeling to the scean. Ducks and water birds of all sorts wade in the shallows going about their busines as the tide ebbs to uncover breakfast. Gulls of verious species fly up and down, suddenly drop into the water for some unsuspecting fish fry. And there is yours truly, rod and line, fishing for those butifull silver bars, sea bass.

Hazels down below, in our double cuddle, still driving them home, its 4am :lol::lol: She eventualy surfaces about 8am, and gets a full English on the go. Strange, its the only time we eat a fried break'y, at home its a couple mugs of tea and a bowl of grapfruit.

The photo oportunities are endless, you have seen a few of my sunrise/sunsets. The gulls almost come and sit on the rails, we get seals, and mullet, they can be photographed with a poloriod filter. Then of course jump in the dinghy and row to a lonly beach, inaccessable by land, drift wood, birds, ducks . . . yes, we like our boat.

Out to sea, O'yes, but thats strictly deep see fishing!

Cliff

Edited by CJS2