Tales of Yarak 2 and Pheonix

richi

Darnsarf and I managed to get out for a paddle today at Keyhavenpost-7370-1142704761_thumb.jpgWe paddled up to Hurst Castle and I was glad I'd bought the Prowler because I would have been going backwards with the Caper!post-7370-1142704804_thumb.jpgWe didn't come out of the estuary only a madman would have done that!post-7370-1142704841_thumb.jpgBoth didn't even have a bite but good fun :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

:) Nice pic's Richi.Did you have your camera in a dry bag/If yes can you suggest where i can source one that you can take pictures through whilst keeping the camera safe and dry.

Cheers .

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Was a great opportunity to try new rigs. Must admit I am an aching wreck at the moment. Just checked and the wind was 20mph no wonder we crawled there and flew back.

Good news. Boat back in one piece. Most of rigging worked great. Sonar/GPS was good, shame I havent had time to read the manual. New paddle made a difference.

Bad news. Anchor spool float centre handle snapped so those that are looking to copy go with the dowel rather than hard float. Fine when dry but water softens float. It worked from flush mount great unwinding easily while sitting in flush mount.

Worrying News. Richis P13 was as dry as a bone despite very choppy and wet conditions. The Scupper had about 1.5 pints in after 3 hours of rough chop. Not life threatening but wetter than the previous.

Good News. Tested for leaks immedialetly on return scuppers and hull ok.

Bad News. Centre hatch leaks. However, given conditions and the amount of water coming aboard not dangerous but worth a phone call on monday.

Overall a worthwhile test for both yaks. We've both got some improvements to do. Good workout particularly the paddle out. ...............Oh and we took some rods and fed the fishies :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Nice writeup and pics.. glad to hear you still made it out despite the weather.

Shame about the hatch Darnsarf. Due to the availability on a yellow standard Scupper I went for the same one as yours. It doesn't surprise me it leaked what the seating position being so low to the waterline (have read about hatches leaking on P15s too) - unless the hatch was badly fitted?.

On mine I plan to use the hatch only for access when setting up the transducer on my fishfinder (and perhaps installing a rudder in the future). I'll keep it sealed (like I do with my Capers center hatch) by putting some zipper lube on the thread of the hatch. One of the guys on the Welsh Kayak Fishing forum uses vaseline on the thread of his and has no problems.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Speciman. Not a major problem to put it in perspective this was the wettest ride I have been out on. That annoying 1ft fast moving chop. So spray every where. The Lulworth trip was much more severe but strangely drier. Or may be I was concentrating harder and didn't notice :boat::bleh:

The thing is the hatch on my scupper isnt a screw thread type. Its more of a locking flange type. You line up and twist no more than 1/8 turn to lock. When I did the test the water wasnt coming out of the lid seal but out of the mount where it connects to the yak. Hence the call on monday.

http://www.ifsogo.com/acatalog/aquapac_camera.html

:) Nice pic's Richi.Did you have your camera in a dry bag/If yes can you suggest where i can source one that you can take pictures through whilst keeping the camera safe and dry.

Cheers .

Try the link Spuds--Darnsarf I'm just as knackered mate-thank god for the kinetic wing! :yahoo:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Darnsarf,

Check with Johnson Outdoors first to make sure there are some bolts behind it, but I would unscrew the hatch and run some silicone around the inside edge of the hatch where it drops into the hull, then re-screw down, take care doing this though as I know that Simon over did one of his flushmount screws and twisted the nut in the hull :(

Mind you if you have waves coming over the top of the deck you should expect to get some water inside, even my Prowler (normally dry as a bone) lets in a bit if it starts coming over the top.

At least you got out.

Now about this handle, does this mean you will be re writing the article :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks SM. The problem is it looks as though it is fixed by rivet. Drilling them out is possible but sometimes the heat generated actually damages the surrounding plastics.

Think I will call Simon and see ahat he suggests. Also don't want to invalidate warranty.

As for handle can you just delete ref to float and keep dowel as main. Start it with something like "After extensive sea trials......." :D

Was tinkering with the Malibu Yesterday and found that I have quite a collection of Ocean Kayak seats, hadn't unwrapped the Comfort Pro Backrest, so decided to have a proper look.

Never liked the look of them in the brochure, but it actually looks very comfy, and with the very thick base, may be worthwhile looking at for all you ScupperPro paddlers, might help to keep you out of the water. I'll bring it along for Darnsarf to try when I finally get to go out and play with him and Richi.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Here have I got this right? You want to come out and play with my seat with your new toy with the thick base. mmmmmmmmm might pass on that. :D

You would be more than welcome. Nice to see you are planning on coming out of hibernation. :)