Fishing spots - boaters v anglers

The Flying Tench

Thanks all of you. Trying to learn to fish the Thames, I heard there was a match on today near Abingdon - the Thames Festival, with several international anglers apparently. I went to have a look. They were all fishing either pole about 12 meters out I would say, or feeder fished three quarters over to the far bank. No-one was using stick float with a normal rod, or even waggler. From memory, when I fished the lower Thames a couple of times as a teenager you could fish quite close to the bank because there was a reasonable flow, but the middle Thames near me is a different kettle of fish being deep and needing to get well out (very often) to get in the flow. Any commetns on this? I guess I need to opt for feeder or else find stretches where it's not too deep and wide for stick float?

john clarke

I fish either feeder or lead but from a boat I'm afraid. Giving float fishing a bit of thought although it's yet to come to fruition. Second hand information but I do hear that from the bank there's often not much to need to be more then a couple of rod lengths out.

Edited by Christian T

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Thanks all of you. Trying to learn to fish the Thames, I heard there was a match on today near Abingdon - the Thames Festival, with several international anglers apparently. I went to have a look. They were all fishing either pole about 12 meters out I would say, or feeder fished three quarters over to the far bank. No-one was using stick float with a normal rod, or even waggler. From memory, when I fished the lower Thames a couple of times as a teenager you could fish quite close to the bank because there was a reasonable flow, but the middle Thames near me is a different kettle of fish being deep and needing to get well out (very often) to get in the flow. Any commetns on this? I guess I need to opt for feeder or else find stretches where it's not too deep and wide for stick float?

If you get an Oxford DAA book from one of the Oxford tackle shops you can fish in Oxford (Folly, Donnington), Medley and at Clifton Hampden. Plenty of this water is good for waggler fishing, especially Clifton and Medley; the latter isn't too deep at about 6ft down the middle with a prevailing wind off your back. Top end of Medley OK for a stick float as is the Channel just below Medley. I fish this water in autumn and winter but prefer to fish a moving feeder with bread but in the past used to spend a week or two in summer and autumn every year floatfishing with stick or waggler. Lovely fishing with an emphasis on roach, and plenty of bank space. Too shallow on Medley for moored boats as well.

Thanks, Mark. I live near Wallingford and I have bought a clutch of tickets for this area. I guess I should research these a bit more, and actually they do include a suitable stretch just upstream of the Clifton Hampden stretch you mention, once a bridge is mended. But if this doesn't work out I will certainly get the ODAA book. And your comments are very helpful cos they put a few things in perspective. For example, I've never done waggler fishing, and given your comments I'll look for somewhere not too deep.

john clarke

A Littlemoor AC book (which covers Oxford DAA waters plus their own at Sandford on Thames) is just £10 a year. Where I live a day ticket is more than that so cheap fishing. Anything more just ask.