What Kayak for newbie

vidcon

I'm new to kayak fishing and am itching to buy a boat soon. However I can't find any stores in Southern Ireland that sell angling kayaks. You have to just pick from a catalogue and hope it's going to suit you.

I'm edging towards a prowler 15 at the moment but could do with some advice.

Have the leaks been resolved? Which version of the 15 do I make sure to get?

Do I need to buy any of the accessories (leg straps, etc).

Can it be carried on a VW Golf?

Any advice would be helpfull.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, to answer your questions, there is only one P15, and yes the scupper hole thing has been sorted, knee straps are not needed, and most people do not use them. The P15 is a long kayak and will fit on your golf with an overhang which you will need to be aware of when driving, parking etc. Things you will need are paddle, PBA, and a set of roof bars. The kayak all depends on what you have plan to do, if river fishing, and lets face it you have some great rivers near you, then the P15 would I feel be a bit long, if nowever you are going to use it for fishing on the saltwater then its a great kayak. Hope this helps. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Will I stand corrected, I had the idea that only the P13 had a fault, and the only P15,s I have seen have been the same has mine.O well get the newer one. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Welcome Vidcon,

Yes its all a bit daunting isn't it, I have been in the same boat..err yak as yourself just recently. :lol:

My and I'm sure others advice would be to scour the net here and abroad especially www.anglersafloat.co.uk as it has some great links and projects. My initial choice of yaks came from what everyone else had i.e O.K prowlers or scuppers but having visited the boat show I have ended up with a Perception Freedom angler edition (called the swing on the NZ and OZ sites).

The reason being it had a lot of kit already fitted and it just felt more comfortable than the other two however as a newbie myself only time and tide will tell if I have made the right choice and sea trials will commence as soon as I have bought a dry suit and some safety kit.

P.S the guy's on this site have been a great help and offer lot's of constructive advice as it seems some have been doing it for years. It seems that before taking any further steps you should consider what kind of hat you are going to wear, they do say the Fez will be very popular this year..... :D

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Vidcon, Speciman and others are correct in saying that if we knew what sort of water you plan to access then narrowing the choice would be much easier.

You have the advantage of being a sensible shape for kayaking.

Where abouts in Ireland are you? My brother lives near Glandore, W. Cork. and I have several good friends along the south coast in the Dungarven/Youghal area.

Give us some idea of where you want to go and what you want to fish for and better feedback will come your way!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

If you need hat advice contact the Hampshire crew :fishing1:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Thaks for all the advice.

I'm a bass fishing fanatic so that's what I'll be doing most aswell as plaice, rays and tope. I'll need to be able to cover a lot of distance also, from what I've read a longer yak is better for distance.

Most of my fishing will be done along the Cork coastine, with some harbour and estuary fishing if the weather isn't great.

I tried out a Hobie yesterday (the only angling kayak I could find in Ireland at the moment). Nice boat but at three times the price of a P15 I couldn't justify buying one.

I live close to Cork Airport Simon, about an hour from Youghal.