excell help

chesters1

As far as I am informed.......

You cannot change the column names in excel. You can however make a column heading in the first row, select it and go to *window* *split* to divide up the sheet. selecting the break you can move it into the desired place so your column title in a1 b1 c1 etc will always remain on the first line no matter how far you scroll down.

Not sure if this will work on your psion though but its worth a go I suppose.

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

looks like your correct ,having only used excel now and again the chance of me finding out how to change the column heading by accident is remote ,AS USUAL on me now getting out the magnifier and examining the psion version there is a small icon which when pressed allows the freeze pane function to work (not enabled by default)

:rolleyes:

once clicked the psion works exactly like the pc ,the top row (1) with my headings stays put as does column A with its information ,if you scroll down or across the row(s) stay put so you dont get lost :D

the "evidence" i accidentaly did the impossible was lost last year in a server replacement and the two backup CD's i made for that event were "lost" :rolleyes: and they are back using the written version (good job i filed that :rolleyes: ) as there isnt anyone stupid enough to put it back to a pc version.how the uni runs without me is debatable :( in the past i have provided software i "backed up" ;) that they "lost" through forgetting where they left it last (hard to believe when they had several copies) :headhurt:

thanks for all your imput

p.s i did offer to redo it all (took me months as i went boss eyed entering vast quantities of info at a time) but "financial" difficulties with the workshops funds put paid to that ,theve lost all their income since i went :clap:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

theve lost all their income since i went :clap:

So pray tell us Chesters,

How exactly did you go about finding "Income" for them?

Or is there something in your past that you might not want us to know about :yeah:

Seriously though I seem to remember it was possible in the first versions of excell or maybee LOTUS.

But I do seem to remember seeing you stood on a lot of street corners with your C90

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

no prostitution wasent my thing.i used to be "rented" for safety testing for other departments (doing "work" within the school was free as it was in their/our budget) so i went and tested whole departments at £17 an hour (no i didnt get that) and if i made pcb's for other departments that also "earned" money,making pcb's within the departments was at a set rate just for the materials used ,outside it was at a set rate per square inch.

i left ,went back got made redundant, outside contractors took over safety testing my skill with etching the impossible was lost so pcb making went.

no extra income for workshop now i person remains in workshop untill department finds a way of getting rid of him ,from 5 to 1 since 2001.

it was certainly a very old version ,forget what money uni's have if its anything like ours i.e a academic "bought" a pcb routing machine for 10 grand thinking it was a good idea to help his students ,unfortunatly i wasent consulted before hand and this highly vaulted machine (by the academic) was already obselete for the work his students were doing ,it still sits unused to this day :rolleyes: lots of money for academics none for the staff to use on technology that support them :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

And what happend to the Honda C90 or are you trying to mislead us?

the honda is what takes me about everyday,as my car is a disabled vehicle (for the mrs) i can only use it with her in it or on her behalf ,besides i like the 90 and prefer to use that its far cheaper to run and doesent recognise traffic jams