new main line

hi guys

im looking for a bit of advice on mainline i prefer mono but am willing to change .

the waters im fishing are pretty much snag free and stocked up to mid twentys...

any help and advice would be superb

tight lines

Phil

I ditched nylon for carp fishing when braid first came on the market and have not used nylon for carp fishing since. (for float fishing and light coarse fishing mono is fine) There have been some improvements in nylon but it’s still basically the same stuff your grandma’s stockings were made from. even the best mono’s on the market, stretch, weaken when knotted, snap when under tension and rub against something rough or sharp, are affected by sunlight (one week trip in sunny weather and you need to change your line) and are so thick that to get a decent amount of line on your reel you have to have a massive spool..

Advantages of braid, in my opinion.

*Bite indication, no stretch; so lead moves one inch, line at indicator moves one inch.

*Stopping fish getting in to snags – when locked up, a fish cannot run away from you.

*Far less waste - it takes a long time to wear out (I am using the same line I bought more than 10 years ago),

*Since using braid I have never snapped off other than at the swivel knot, so I have never left line in a lake, up a tree or on the bank endangering wildlife.

*Because the line cuts through snags and does not snap, fish don’t get tethered to snags

*Considerable increase in casting distance and accuracy.

*Much thinner so a decent braking strength can be used, (I use 24lb)

*Much thinner so less wind and drift resistance

*Not affected by sunlight

Take your time to get it right, There is only one fish in the lake that you are after and you don't want to loose it do you?

IPB Image

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS I HOPE YOU HAVE PUSHED ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED

THANKS AGAIN AND BE LUCKY

Is this line made by Pro Logic?I've just pickt up some x line,in the 8lb breaking strain for feeder fishing and it's thinner than the usall 6lb maxima.Seems ok from the look of it.

Guest Josh Iddon
I ditched nylon for carp fishing when braid first came on the market and have not used nylon for carp fishing since. (for float fishing and light coarse fishing mono is fine) There have been some improvements in nylon but it’s still basically the same stuff your grandma’s stockings were made from. even the best mono’s on the market, stretch, weaken when knotted, snap when under tension and rub against something rough or sharp, are affected by sunlight (one week trip in sunny weather and you need to change your line) and are so thick that to get a decent amount of line on your reel you have to have a massive spool..

Advantages of braid, in my opinion.

*Bite indication, no stretch; so lead moves one inch, line at indicator moves one inch.

*Stopping fish getting in to snags – when locked up, a fish cannot run away from you.

*Far less waste - it takes a long time to wear out (I am using the same line I bought more than 10 years ago),

*Since using braid I have never snapped off other than at the swivel knot, so I have never left line in a lake, up a tree or on the bank endangering wildlife.

*Because the line cuts through snags and does not snap, fish don’t get tethered to snags

*Considerable increase in casting distance and accuracy.

*Much thinner so a decent braking strength can be used, (I use 24lb)

*Much thinner so less wind and drift resistanc

*Not affected by sunlight

I was under the impression that braid will break very easyly if its under tension and you are in snags?

And dont you have to use a leader if using braid?

Id love to try braid but, I just dont have the short term money for it.

The Dog is right brothers! If I remember right there are only four manufacturers of mono and two of those are subsidarys of one of the big two!

Some strange stuff spoke about braid and even stranger stuff about correct selection.

Phil,Im not an expert on braids but have been using it for a long time now.Before it was available in the UK! if you are considering braid maybe this crap I penned can help-

http://fjames.proboards6.com/index.cgi?boa...ge=1#1102310020

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I changed my lines to krystonite last year,,, big mistake I get so much line twist it,s unreal, so to speak

Used to use shimano technium and thats good ,,yeah I know " why did I change then " dunno I recon we all do it from time to time and then regret it. I used 12lb and 15 lb of krystonite on big pit baitrunners, anyone else have this problem or just me.

Krystonite, its great stuff, its very smooth and as limp as someone with brewers droop.

I too was attracted by the claims of limpnes. It may be limp to start with, but after a few trips it seems to become much stiffer. It may be because, like Gill Raker, I've found it twists horribly - and yes, I have loaded it properly!

I'm just about to spool up with Pro Clear, having been extremely impressed with Pro Gold in the past. See my field test of the latter at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm

Bear in mind that Pro Gold is under-rated in breaking strain. Pro Clear is rated differently and so I've got the 16lb b.s. (that has a diameter of .34mm) rather than the 12lb.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Daiwa Sensor for me.

Why?

It's cheap for starters, £6.99 for many, many yards. Available in various breaking strains. Very strong and resilient.