Richworth Betaine HCI

chris mc

Anyone know wat this is like just sent some the shop for some bits and bobs and they came back with all the wrong stuff including a very dear bottle of Betaine HCI ,someone please tell me i haven't just had my money compleaty wasted.Cheers.

Anyone know wat this is like just sent some the shop for some bits and bobs and they came back with all the wrong stuff including a very dear bottle of Betaine HCI ,someone please tell me i haven't just had my money compleaty wasted.Cheers.

Look at this what its supposed to do for Carp I don't know:

Betaine and Betaine

Hydrochloride

DESCRIPTION

Betaine or trimethylglycine is a quarternary ammonium compound that was first discovered in the juice of sugar beets (Beta vulgaris). Betaine is a metabolite of choline (see Choline) and is a substrate in one of the two recycling pathways that convert homocysteine to L-methionine. The other and principal recycling reaction is catalyzed by the enzyme methionine synthase and uses methylcobalamin as a cofactor and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate as a cosubstrate (see Folate and Vitamin B12).

Betaine, in the form of a white, granular, hygroscopic powder referred to as anhydrous betaine, is an orphan drug for the treatment of homocystinuria. Homocystinuria is a rare genetic disorder caused by any one of three inborn errors of metabolism. One type is known as cystathionine beta-synthase deficiency. Cystathionine beta-synthase is the enzyme that converts homocysteine to cystathionine, a precursor of cysteine. This is the most common genetic cause of homocystinuria. Cystathionine beta-synthase is a vitamin B6-dependent enzyme, and deficiency of this enzyme may be responsive to treatment with vitamin B6 (see Vitamin B6).

A second type of inborn error of metabolism resulting in homocystinuria is due to deficiency of 5,10-methylenetetra__hydrofolate reductase. This enzyme catalyzes the conversion of 5-methylenetetrahydrofolate to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, the cosubstrate in the methionine synthase reaction mentioned above. The third type of inborn error of metabolism that can result in homocystinuria is due to a defect in the synthesis of methylcobalamin, the cofactor in the methionine synthase reaction. Betaine therapy may be effective in the treatment of all three of these primary types of homocystinuria.

Betaine is also known as trimethylglycine, N-trimethylglycine, glycine betaine, glycocoll betaine, oxyneurine and lycine. Its chemical name is 1-carboxy-N,N,N-trimethylmethanaminium inner salt. The molecular formula of betaine is C5H11NO2, its chemical formula is (CH3)3N+-CH2COO- and its molecular weight is 117.15 daltons. Betaine is very soluble in water and has a sweet taste. It is widely distributed in plants and animals. The hydrochloride of betaine is known as betaine hydrochloride, betaine HCL and pluchine. Its chemical name is 1-carboxy-N,N,N-trimethylmethanaminium chloride. The pH of a 5% aqueous solution of betaine hydrochloride is 1.

Betaine is represented by the following chemical structure:

Betaine

Both betaine and betaine hydrochloride are available as dietary supplements.

ACTIONS AND PHARMACOLOGY

ACTIONS

Betaine may lower elevated homocysteine levels in some. Betaine may also have lipotropic and hepatoprotective activity. Betaine hydrochloride is a delivery form of hydrochloric acid and may aid in digestion in some.

MECHANISM OF ACTION

Betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) is a zinc metalloenzyme which catalyzes the transfer of a methyl group from betaine to homocysteine in the formation of methionine. BHMT is found in the liver and kidneys and may also exist in brain tissue. Betaine acts to lower homocysteine levels in some with primary hyperhomocysteinemia/homocystinuria via this enzyme. Betaine has also been found to lower homocysteine levels in some animal studies, again, via BHMT. Mild to moderate elevation of homocysteine without homocystinuria is thought to be an independent risk factor for coronary heart disease. Betaine may lower elevated homocysteine levels in some with mild to moderate hyperhomocysteinemia, but this needs to be confirmed. A good group for such a study would be those with the C677T mutation for 5-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase which occurs in approximately 10% of the population.

A lipotropic agent is defined as a substance that prevents the deposition of fat in the liver or accelerates its removal. The condition of fatty degeneration is called steatosis. Betaine, choline and L-methionine have been found to prevent or to reverse hepatic steatosis in experimental animals. It is thought that the lipotropic activity of betaine, choline and L-methionine is mediated via the body's principal transmethylating agent, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe). SAMe is involved in a number of biochemical functions that may promote liver health, including its role in the formation of phospholipids which are essential for normal cell membrane formation and function (see S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine). SAMe's methyl group is derived from betaine via the betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase reaction which provides the immediate precursor of SAMe, L-methionine. Choline is metabolized to betaine via the enzymes choline dehydrogenase and betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase. Thus, through a couple of transmethylations, the methyl group in choline winds up as the methyl group in SAMe.

Betaine has been found to protect the livers of experimental animals against the hepatotoxins ethanol and carbon tetrachloride. The hepatoprotective effect of betaine is thought to be mediated via SAMe, as discussed above. Betaine may have hepatoprotective activity as well as lipotropic activity in humans, but this has not been confirmed. Another possible hepatoprotective mechanism of betaine, at least in animals, may be due to its osmolyte activity. Betaine has been shown to be an intracellular osmolyte in rat liver macrophages (Kupffer cells) and sinusoidal endothelial cells, and may play an important role in the functions of these cells.

As an interesting aside, the osmoprotective effect of betaine has been found to be cytoprotective in the deep freezing of stallion sperm and also has been found to protect salmon from the physiological stress induced by transfer from fresh water to seawater. The osmoprotective effect of betaine may be due to an interaction between this substance and chloride ions. There is as yet no evidence that the osmoprotective effect of betaine has any consequence for humans.

Betaine hydrochloride is a delivery form of hydrochloric acid. Some with hypochlorhydria have used betaine hydrochloride alone, or in combination with pepsin, as a digestive aid.

PHARMACOKINETICS

Betaine is absorbed from the small intestines into the enterocytes. It is released by the enterocytes into the portal circulation which carries it to the liver where there is significant first-pass extraction and first-pass metabolism of betaine. The principal metabolic reaction is the transfer of a methyl group from betaine to homocysteine via the enzyme betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase. The products of the reaction are L-methionine and dimethylglycine. Betaine hydrochloride is converted to betaine in the alkaline environment of the small intestine.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE

Anhydrous betaine has been useful in the treatment of homocystinuria and betaine may be helpful in other conditions characterized by elevated plasma homocysteine levels. Betaine hydrochloride is used as a digestive aid in some. There is some suggestion in animal research that betaine may be hepatoprotective in some circumstances.

RESEARCH SUMMARY

Betaine has been shown in numerous studies to be of significant benefit in all three primary types of homocystinuria. Clinical improvement has been reported in about 75% of the cases treated with betaine in these studies.

It has been suggested but not yet demonstrated that betaine might also be useful in other conditions characterized by elevated plasma homocysteine levels, such as those that have been noted in some with premature vascular disease and chronic renal failure.

Since hyperhomocysteinemia is thought to be an independent cardiovascular risk factor, betaine's role as a potential cardioprotector is suggested but, again, not yet demonstrated. Recently it was hypothesized that some of red wine's putative cardioprotective activity could be due to the fact that betaine is added to some wines via beet sugar used to increase alcohol content. More research is needed.

Several animal studies have indicated that betaine exerts some hepatoprotective effects. In one of these studies, betaine significantly speeded recovery of carbon tetrachloride-injured liver. It has also been credited with helping to protect against alcoholic steatosis resulting from dietary ethanol. Whether it might help similarly protect against or reverse fatty infiltration of the liver in humans has not yet been studied.

Betaine hydrochloride has been used for some time as a digestive aid. Those with excessive stomach acid should avoid this use

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Should be worth the having.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/martin03.htm

http://www.carpuniverse.com/frames_site_na...s/recipes2.html and look for the one by Bryan Jarrett (Hinders)

And quite a few others.

Much like the n-butyric acid from another current topic, a little dab will do ya so your bottle should last a good long time but it does not tend to go bad or weaken with age.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris,please bear with me as its a long time since I gave up searching for the magic bait!

If I remember correct it is a digestive enzyme (or possibly an agent that stimulates digestive enzymes) it is used to treat humans with digestive problems and is incorporated in several different types of annimal feed including some fish foods.

Chemicaly it is very similar to that really important (angling wise any way) amino acid Glycine.

I believe that the way its use as an attractant in carp baits is invisaged is that it helps the break down of the proteins thus releasing the enzymes that the fish find attractive.I seem to remember (but may be getting it confused with another similar product!) that this same effect is used to encourage live stock to feed by adding it to their food.

Cant remember the reccomended dosage but if the bottle you have comes from a reputable supplier(er assuming it is from a bait supplier?) it should have it on it.

Do I rate it? Pays your money and takes your chance really.I found it no better than most of the other in vogue "wonder" ingrediants.

Though as said I stoped any bait "development" years ago.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As i say i never bought it intentionally .The recommended dosage on the bottle is 1 tea spoon to every 50g.I'll give it a try anyways got it now so might as well .:).

Once again Thanx everyone.