Anybody else got a Medion 8818 PC?

Peter Sharpe

Following a re-installation of Windows XP MCE, my computer can no longer see the TV card, causing Media Centre to crash as soon as it is switched on. The Medion technical support people suggested that I re-seat the card, but I'm damned if I can work out how to get inside the box. The last Medion PC I had was dead easy, but at a glance, this one looks as if it requires completely dismantling. I feel I must be missing a trick somewhere, so does anybody know how to do it?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Not being silly, have you tried the other side?

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Not being silly, have you tried the other side?

What, the dark side? :o

I took all the outer screws out before but still couldn't get anything to move - unless I resorted to inserting a crowbar.

Actually, without expecting too much, I sent an email to Medion support and the replies have come back extremely quickly and have been very helpful.

Apparently, I only have to remove the screws on the left hand side and I should then be able to unclip a small plate in the bottom left hand corner. I didn't have the confidence to start messing around with it last time, but I will try again tonight.

I have to say that I have been very impressed with Medion support, as you hear so many negative comments about PC manufacturers these days. I didn't have to wait on the phone for an hour for somebody in a foreign call centre to read a script to me, just a simple and very quick exchange of emails - brilliant.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thats it, I thought you might have opened the right hand side which is a bit daunting.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Have to say Peter I found them very good on the FIRST PC then I bought a LAPTOP!!! But yes when they were working they were excellent. But sorry no idea how to access the guts!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...

I managed it in the end, although the biggest problem turned out to be getting the side panel back on again. The problem wasn't with the computer at all, but with Microsoft's continual torrent of updates. I've given up trying to install Service Pack 3, but what I really needed was NET Framework 1.1 and the hotfix that they brought out to correct it (typical).