Tonbridge

Woz

Hi I joined Tonbridge angling and fish presevation society end of last year.

I've enjoyed fishing the Medway but I wondered if any of the lakes were open during the closed season.

The website doesn;t seem to have an email address on it and If I write the season will be open when Iget a reply!

Also, (athough not until July) I wanted to fish the section of the Eden that is theirs but couldn't find it (the section not the river). Any directions/info would be appreciated to a new member of the club and new to the area.

Hi I joined Tonbridge angling and fish presevation society end of last year.

I've enjoyed fishing the Medway but I wondered if any of the lakes were open during the closed season.

The website doesn;t seem to have an email address on it and If I write the season will be open when Iget a reply!

Also, (athough not until July) I wanted to fish the section of the Eden that is theirs but couldn't find it (the section not the river). Any directions/info would be appreciated to a new member of the club and new to the area.

When I was a member of Tonbridge and District Angling all be it 10 years or more ago the close season was strictly enforced.

Here I cud be wrong but thought they let their stretch of the Eden go , believe Bromley picked it up , Beggers Barn at Penshurst.

Woz

Which web site have you looked at was it http://www.tonbridge-angling.co.uk/ if so look at the notice board page for full details of venues open,( though this will be changing in the future as Barden and Haysden will become available in the future), The society waters page gives maps of all venues.

Woz

If an Angling Club does not enforce the close season the rivers will still be closed. Only selected 'still' waters will be open, though these are normally on day ticket commercial fisheries. Tonbridge did enforce the close season, but this may have changed. BDAS ( Bromley & District ) have a strict close season on all their waters.

I was a member of Tonbridge eons ago with Breamagain, they have some nice waters. The Medway used to produce plenty of silver fish and is popular for Pike ( mainly Jacks ), though recently walking round Haysden Country Park I have spotted some nice Chub. The "Shallows" are now a shadow of what they used to be, but still some good fishing at the lower end where it enters the Medway. We used to get decent Chub and Perch. A couple of years ago I took one of my boys there ( it's day ticket ) and he caught a Ruff.

The large sailing lake behine the bypass can only be fished on one side, swimfeeder for Bream seems to be the way most people fish it. There is also a lake behind this which hold some decent Tench and well worth the walk.

BDAS has taken on the Eden at Penshurst ( Beggars Barn ) and I have yet to walk it. Many years ago it was Chub City but the EA dregged it and turned it into a canal, which is the main reason for my leaving the Tonbridge club. I remember watching two huge Chub taking acorns as they fell from the trees, this was just outside our stretch so did not fish for them. I understand it has now recovered somewhat but is very overgrown.

Tight lines.

Andrew Boyd

Andrew

Is the BDAS River Eden stretch at Penshurst the one near Salmans Farm with the Pumphouse by the weir?

This used to be a KAPS stretch of water but we let it go maily because the EA turned it into a canal as you say, it used to be a fabulous Chub water with one or two Barbel in the weir pool.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Andrew

Is the BDAS River Eden stretch at Penshurst the one near Salmans Farm with the Pumphouse by the weir?

This used to be a KAPS stretch of water but we let it go maily because the EA turned it into a canal as you say, it used to be a fabulous Chub water with one or two Barbel in the weir pool.

Tony

Thanks Guys,

The Eden is marked on the website as running from Vexour bridge.

But I couldn;t find it driving around for an hour or more!

Tony

Salmans Farm . . Beggers Barn / Salmans Farm I always muddle these two up.

The stretch I used to fish as Tonbridge and now is BDAS, you park in the farm, walk down the hill and meet the river by a Pill Box, the fishing extends upstream to a small weir, down stream to ? Can't remember ever going to the boundary.

The river used to consist of glides between banks of rushes with small pools into which a freelined worm of Maize would produce decent Chub. Never heard of a Barbel from there but I last fished it about 15 years ago, as I said before . . it became a canel. Total shock at what they did to the place. Destroyed a great fishery, which I hope has now recovered. I must pop down there soon and check it out for some fishing this coming winter.

If you wanted to spot Mink Penshurst was the place to go. :(

Dave and I drove down there years ago while everything was in flood. The valley had turned into a raging mass of brown ugly water. The river must have risen 20 feet or more. We ended up on the Darenth at Shoreham fishing a small cut about 30cm square just off the main flow, but managed a couple of decent Roach.

Andrew Boyd

The BDAS water is upstream of the road bridge. I think Edenbridge AC have the opposite bank. When I last went to have a look (late January/early February this year) it was painfully low and clear.

The ex-KAPS water downstream of the road bridge seems to have recovered somewhat from the dredging. I haven't fished it, but pre-dredging my son had some good catches of chub there - no monsters, but fish to 4lb-plus. Not sure who controls this stretch now, but the KAPS sign remains in place by the roadside parking!