Perch and silt?

GlennB

Any Chemists with a needle exchange will have 1mm insulin needles. Just look twitchy, bite your nails and leave a false name.

Did I say that??.... :blink:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Chemists with a needle exchange will have 1mm insulin needles. Just look twitchy, bite your nails and leave a false name.

Did I say that??.... :blink:

No nead for all that acting, just tell the chemist what you want them for and he will sell you a bag full, no prob's

Take your time to get it right, There is only one fish in the lake that you are after and you don't want to loose it do you?

IPB Image

just tell the chemist what you want them for and he will sell you a bag full

He sells smack too??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I think there is a link maybe between perch size or numbers and the type of river bed, well in fact im sure there is, as both silt and gravel support different invertebrate prey for the perch. the example i put forward is the river thames, both at medley and clifton hampden, they are within 8 miles of each other, yet medley holds alot more big perch, many 4lb fish, yet at clifton hampden you only ever seem to get 6oz fish.

the difference between the two is that medley is a gravel bottom, and clifton is mainly silty.

I think there is a link maybe between perch size or numbers and the type of river bed, well in fact im sure there is, as both silt and gravel support different invertebrate prey for the perch. the example i put forward is the river thames, both at medley and clifton hampden, they are within 8 miles of each other, yet medley holds alot more big perch, many 4lb fish, yet at clifton hampden you only ever seem to get 6oz fish.

the difference between the two is that medley is a gravel bottom, and clifton is mainly silty.

Good point. In fact I gather that "cleaner" gravelly stretches support more minnows so, maybe, more good perch?

However, my local K+A canal has many very good perch,but is a booger for silt :) Even fishing maggots on small hooks I've had very few positively *small* perch. Maybe the lack of of a river or lakes's plant life means that they're feeding on fish (and getting big) rather than growing small in large numbers on invertebrates??? Dunno.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

However, my local K+A canal has many very good perch,but is a booger for silt :) Even fishing maggots on small hooks I've had very few positively *small* perch.

That could be down to cannibalism. You often see a strong year class dominating the population structure by devouring subsequent years' young.

Not sure if this is relevant or not but ive heard that perch have a very nice taste to them and dont taste as muddy as most of the other filter feeders, so I would assume that that they dnt like feeding in the silt. Josh :)

you heard??? has no one here had perch? they are lovely, one little problem... they are a very boney fish but well worth the hassle! however it would have to be at least 2lb IMO

I spent a good few hours recently on the K&A Canal practicing for the winter league semi final. I can assure you that if you feed bloodworm and Joker you can catch small perch all day long.

Which part of the K+A, Worm? It's a long old canal and I'm sure its character changes along the way.

Around Bath it's heavily tree-lined and the bottom is a mess of twigs and dead leaves. From the Paddington train though I've seen lengthy sections that are very open and presumably fish differently, just like different parts of a river.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

ukunwolf @ Apr 7

you heard??? has no one here had perch? they are lovely, one little problem... they are a very boney fish but well worth the hassle! however it would have to be at least 2lb IMO

I hear some rich pickings are to be had in the supermarket wheelie bins on the right night if things are that tight.