Which Rod ? Which Reel ? Braid?

spuds

Hello guys.I'm wondering what rod would be recommended as suitable for kayak fishing at Anchor/Drift for Tope Pollock Bass etc.I already have a suitable spinning outfit for trolling lures and mackie bashing.I have an abu 6500gr and a 7000 red reel which i would use for the new rod.The Ugly stik 15lb looked about right but i was wondering if this would be too heavy.

I have 15lb mono on the Reels and also wondered if i should switch to braid.

Much obliged Spuds. :)

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Spuds

If you can find a supplier in the U.K take a look at the Rogue rods. I have an 8ft swimbait sb807. They are a fantastic rod and outshine the uglystick for power to weight. Coupled with a 6500 size reel it will cover most fishing situations. They are expensive but worth the money.

Take a look here http://www.roguerods.com/swimbaitrods.htm

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Good one Spuds

Almost as personal as buying a yak. :)

But here goes. I like to fish light and with a 14' plus yak a 6' rod aint no good. So my choice for Bass and Pollock and most other species is Fladen 6lb rod. At 7'6" its the perfect length, the quality is way beyond the price and I couple that with a small Shimano Bait Caster (170yds of 12lb line). I keep the line at 12lb for abrasion resistance as is the nature of my kind of fishing (in amongst the rocks) but will sometimes use a lighter fluoro snood 6-9lb. Good sport and if I lose the lot it wont break the bank. Both have been repeatedly dunked and with a wash they come back for more.

My heaviest set up is a 12lb Daiwa boat rod with a Fladen 666 reel with 15lb line. The rod at some point will be replaced by the equivalent Fladen (I rate them that highly) The reel is no thoroughbred more a landrover and we aren't exactly casting to the horizon and again it can take a dunking without needing a full stripdown. More of a solid performer. See this setup doing the bigger stuff except Porgies. For them I may consider a 20lb rod. :lol: As you can tell I like bit of a challenge! :fishing:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I like the 12-20 Penn Tidecutter I got from Santa, 7ft8" nice and light, and going cheap now they have new version out. I like to have that bit extra backbone for when my spinning rod is too light.

darnsarf.....12lb is your heavy gear..... gulp......I'm worried that my 30-50 with TLD10 and 50lb braid wont be up to the job...... up to what you ask....... just you wait and see :D

Edited by spanner

Spanner that sounds a great Skate setup :P

Dont be impressed, notice I never mentioned anything about actually catching fish with them. :)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I like the 12-20 Penn Tidecutter I got from Santa, 7ft8" nice and light, and going cheap now they have new version out. I like to have that bit extra backbone for when my spinning rod is too light.

darnsarf.....12lb is your heavy gear..... gulp......I'm worried that my 30-50 with TLD10 and 50lb braid wont be up to the job...... up to what you ask....... just you wait and see :D

I got a fladen 10 - 20 6'6" matched to a small pfleuger multiplier with 30lb braid and a 12lb 6'6" ugly stick with a slosh 20 for the tope.

Prefer light kit to dragging stuff up with sheer brute force.

That said all I've caught on them so far is 1 crab and a small whiting :rolleyes:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

:lol:

Darnsarf inspecting his latest porgie.WE ARE GONNAH NEED A BIGGER kAYAK.

:lol: I LIKE YOUR STYLE.

With regard to the 50lb Braid .If this gets snagged do you have a struggle to pull this out on a kayak or do you use lighter mono trace .

GB i like the look of the rogue rod but can't seem to source this in uk.

post-8543-1144185312_thumb.jpg

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Take a look at the Greys 10-15 lbs Longboats the adjustable sliding locking reel seat is a boon for yakkers. I don't know another firm that does one (I am fairly sure Simon Everett got one at the NEC earlier this year), also the rings are fine for braid and mono. The irish guys I know just use Slosh 20's or Ambaassadeur 6000's and get away with it ok. Braid - I like Fireline - just try to snap 4lb Fireline with your hands - you'll be crying over the blood on the carpet as it slices through your fingers so there's no need to go heavy on that stuff (just got some 4lb for my light spinning reels - its awesome, must be 11lbs breaking)

Foggy

http://www.greysfishing.com/products/searods_longboat.htm

Where I fish with 50lb braid there are no snags..... just the fishy ones :)

Over rocky ground I've frequently been snagged with 40lb braid and I've always manage d to recover my gear by paddling back over the snag.... its one of the reasons I always seem to carry too much tackle..... cos I keep taking spare stuff and never loosing anything :)

I usually have a mono leader anyway, mainly for when I have a fsih at the side of the yak, so I have my insurance just in case ......

Come into the light spuds, get yourself a 10weight fly rod and have some real fun with tope.

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com

+ www.ukswff.co.uk + SACN

R U a member, if not why not?

--------------------------------------

Yak: yellow P13