Tope on the Fly

Starvinmarvin

Having caught Tope last summer am considering having a bash for Tope on the Fly this summer and was wondering if anyone had any patterns that they could share or know of any resource where I can read a little about techniques, I need to get tying soon as I'm sure the first few will be disasters. I believe that Ian burrett has had some success in Scotland, I'll be fishing a mark in West Wales.

Thanks in advance

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I'm extremely sceptical about the possiblilty of taking a tope on a fly. I know sharks in the tropics are regularly taken, but they are usually fish that are taken off the surface after being led to the back of the boat with a teaser and/or large quantities of chum. Taking a fly is then probably a matter of an aggressive response to a big bundle of coloured fur dropped in your face, but unless you can get your pack of tope up to the surface, its going to be extremely hit and miss. I don't remember seeing any reports from Ian about actually catching a tope on a fly, although I do recall him trying. A 12 weight with at least 250 yards of backing, an 18 inch wire trace (probably easier to handle than a heavy mono trace) and some big fish shaped flies tied on a 6/0-8/0 sounds like a good place to start.

Heres an article about sharks on the fly that might help.

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/big_shark...the_fly_rod.htm

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Having caught Tope last summer am considering having a bash for Tope on the Fly this summer and was wondering if anyone had any patterns that they could share or know of any resource where I can read a little about techniques, I need to get tying soon as I'm sure the first few will be disasters. I believe that Ian burrett has had some success in Scotland, I'll be fishing a mark in West Wales.

Thanks in advance

whilst Tope fishing in Hampshire I have on occasion seen a hooked Tope be followed almost to the net , By another fish and I have discused the posserbillity of bringing fish to near the surface with an old onion sack full of fish bits. I reckon You could pull it off but this only seems to happen every so often so I dought fishing would be hectic. But nothing ventured nothing Gained.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I know a few people who've tried for tope on lures and they've all been extremely unsuccessful! Lures like bulldawgs etc would, you would imagine, do the job perfectly if they were there to be caught.

Unless you've got some extraordinary circumstances where you go for tope I think you could waste a lot of time.

As an aside, can anyone explain to me what the moral superiority of catching a fish on a fly rod is? I used to solely fly fish, though rarely do these days. The bloke I mainly fished with still fly fishes, though mainly abroad. He thinks there's something special about getting all sorts of fish on "meat" flies in chum trails etc. I think it's just a daft way to fish for fish with inappropriate tackle though!

Tim

Snatcher I would love to come up but am having problems with passes at the moment, and to many trips planned already, wife is getting a little touchy.

Ian Burrett's name caught my eye there, tell me has he managed a Tope on the fly yet, I've been looking high and low for some information on targetting the little devils on the fly and his name keeps popping up but that's it, no techniques or patterns sadly. I

I've got two trips planned to Wales so far this year and would like to have a try and need all the help I can get, we would be fishing in about 20 - 25 feet of water.

SM

Ian was telling me that the window of oppertunity is fairly small. It occurs when a tope is hooked and brought to the boat and a second fish follows the hooked fish up. That is the chance to cast a lure on fly gear to the tope.

Tied up a couple of Joey mackeral lures for 2 of your yakkers last year. Think one may have been Captain Organ. Heard no reports back though. Hope this helps

Posted this reply onto Snatchers "lads week" in the yak section :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Captain,

I'll standby the camera then, my priority is to get some fish to take my flies, as I have been sadly unsuccessful in the salt with the fly rod, have managed to hook bass, but not land them, own fault in both cases, fiddling for the camera to get a nice shot of them coming to hand :)

Will also be giving the Tope a try if they are about, but probably use bait, you can sit in my burley trail if you want.

Am really looking forward to the whole event, great fishing with some of the best Saltwater flyfishermen in the UK, I'll be bringing my note pad :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• 2 weeks later...

I catch Tope on lures albeit not regulary. I use rapala cd14 and also 2-4oz leadheads with big shads soaked in makerel oil. I have also had quite a few on the float great fun.

The best chance of catching one on the fly may just be using a yak as the tope will not shy away from it as much as a large boat with a heavy anchor line.

As difficult as it may be, it's not imposible. When the male's are running in pack's they can be almost suicidal. I have had them attack an onion rubby sack before (it scared the be-jesus out of me mind)

Watch this space, you never know.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I