quiver fishing

spud mckay

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's windy and you find that your tip is bouncing about making bite detection difficult then you can get a little contraption that clips over your rod blank, say 1/2 to 2/3 rds up it with a quiver tip that slots in it so it sticks out at an angle from your rod. Your line goes through your eyes as normal but also goes through the eye on the contraption, you reel your line in causing the contraptions quiver to bend slightly inwards to your rod and you'll never miss a bite. Actually it's much easier than watching the end of your rod, when you get a bite the added quiver tip bends straight over to your rod (brilliant bite detection). I know I've not explained it very well but maybe someone else can, I don't know what it's called either so maybe another member can tell you.

I forgot to mention that you can fish with your rod pointing straight at your bait with this device.

Tigger.

Brilliant idea. I've just ordered one :) How do these things perform in rivers, Tigger? Any handy hints appreciated.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Guest tigger
Brilliant idea. I've just ordered one :) How do these things perform in rivers, Tigger? Any handy hints appreciated.

I think you'll be pleased with it ! I haven't used one on a river yet but I would imagine they'll be great.

Remember to wrap a bit of insulation tape round your blank before attaching the plastic quiver holder as it may scrarch it otherwise.

Also as I said you don't need to put your rod on any angles to your bait, you can just point it straight at it and you get excellent bite indication.

You can use it on any rod (I mean it doesn't have to be a quiver rod).

Good luck

Tigger.

Edited by tigger

You can use it on any rod (I mean it doesn't have to be a quiver rod).

Good luck

Tigger.

That strikes me as a huge advantage. You can switch from float to quiver fishing on the same rod, so less kit to lug around. Cheers!

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

If using a quiver tip in a wind I use a spare bank stick placed in the water a few inches back from the tip. I then rest the quiver against the bank stick to steady it (on the side of the stick away from the water so the tip is pulled toward the bank stick by tension on the tip). The tip is steadied and bites are spotted as the curve in the tip will mean that the tip will pear out from behind the bank stick and even a tiny bite will be easy to spot. I know all of thet sounds confusing but in reality once you your rod rest and bank stick are lined up it is a very simple solution to the problem of spotting bites in the wind. In my experience the simpler the solution the better rather than adding extra indicators etc.

If using a quiver tip in a wind I use a spare bank stick placed in the water a few inches back from the tip. I then rest the quiver against the bank stick to steady it (on the side of the stick away from the water so the tip is pulled toward the bank stick by tension on the tip). The tip is steadied and bites are spotted as the curve in the tip will mean that the tip will pear out from behind the bank stick and even a tiny bite will be easy to spot. I know all of thet sounds confusing but in reality once you your rod rest and bank stick are lined up it is a very simple solution to the problem of spotting bites in the wind. In my experience the simpler the solution the better rather than adding extra indicators etc.

Is wat your describing the same as using a feeder/bight pannel thingy but with out the pannel?

Chris

No Im not talking of a target board. They are placed behind the tip and give a fixed target to watch the tip against but do nothing to stop the tip from bouncing about. Also for me when I have tried target boards I go gogle eyed after ten minutes.

My method actually helps stabalise the tip as it rests against the bank stick.

What you are imagining has the bank stick past the end of the rod tip my method has the bank stick between me and the rod tip.

As an aside I f a I wanted a target when there is no wind I would just use a bank stick beyond the rod top as I find them easier to stare at than a big black board.

Edited by A Worm OOE