E U fishing rules

Dave Godwin

Can anybody please explain the E U fishery rules regarding size limits.

Yesterday i went to the local fish dock to try to arrange a supply of sardines for the summer shark fishing.

I saw a large fish box full of very small rays (Thornbacks i think) they were all the same size and none were bigger than 6 inches across.

I also regulary see soles in the supermarket fish counters, they are piled high and the average size is 3-4 inches.

Surely this must contravene the regulations or is ther UK the only country that takes any notice!!! :angry:

Can anybody please explain the E U fishery rules regarding size limits.

Yesterday i went to the local fish dock to try to arrange a supply of sardines for the summer shark fishing.

I saw a large fish box full of very small rays (Thornbacks i think) they were all the same size and none were bigger than 6 inches across.

I also regulary see soles in the supermarket fish counters, they are piled high and the average size is 3-4 inches.

Surely this must contravene the regulations or is ther UK the only country that takes any notice!!! :angry:

:clap2: You're right Dave, the UK is the only country that sticks to the size limits. I've actually seen boxes of undersize fish for sale in the fish markets on the continent, they grade them by size and price. When I brought this up with MAFF, as it was then, they said that each country was responsible for applying the rules in their own country, self policing I think it's called. It's a joke but the continental's attitude is, we've caught them so we might as well get something for them as discard them dead. I actually agree with that policy, as long as they are included in their quota and they don't use small mesh or blinders to catch them.

When's the new boat going to be ready and how's the fishing at the moment? I'm getting twitchy for some warm water fishing. :clap2:

Yes, Europe, (especially France), are quick enough to threaten us with fines if we don't run our fishery to their liking, but don't like enforcing the rules on their own fishermen. There is a market for undersize fish in Europe, but that's no excuse. It's been said before but we should all boycott European wine, (bit difficult for you Dave :D )

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Why the hell do many people want to get further and further into rule by Bressels? All we get is the bum end of the deal!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Lets not be to hasty about the wine Steve, its very good here and very cheap.

Norm you are still confusing me with Bob, i spoke to him this morning and he is in the UK for 10 days but the boat is doing well might be ready for June he thinks.

The fiahing is just starting to pick up now with the first of the Blue sharks coming aboard so it will only get better now as the water is warming up nicely (17c today).

Dave :)

Lets not be to hasty about the wine Steve, its very good here and very cheap.

Norm you are still confusing me with Bob, i spoke to him this morning and he is in the UK for 10 days but the boat is doing well might be ready for June he thinks.

The fiahing is just starting to pick up now with the first of the Blue sharks coming aboard so it will only get better now as the water is warming up nicely (17c today).

Dave :)

:clap2: You're right Dave, I don't know why I keep getting you and Bob mixed up, must be an age thing. :clap2:

I believe that there is currently no Minimum Landing Size for skates and rays.

See http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/news_c.../mesure2_en.htm

The actual mls for different species (and the areas to which they apply) is given towards the end of this document (pdf file may take a little while to load)

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/doc_et.../r98_850_en.pdf

Each nation is able to set an mls in it's own waters and for its own fleet higher than the EU mls, and sea fisheries committees are able to set a higher mls than the national mls for their district.

see also http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/conserve/...umfishsizes.pdf

Mr. Andrew Turner: To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs if she will list those fish species which may be (a) caught (i) within the 12 mile limit and (ii) outside the 12 mile limit and (B) landed below their normal spawning size. [132527]Mr. Bradshaw [holding answer 20 October 2003]: There is no distinction made in EU or national legislation between species which can be caught within and outside 12 miles.

Under EU legislation 38 species are subject to minimum landing sizes. Some Sea Fisheries Committees have introduced minimum sizes for additional species. Fisheries scientists generally advise that a minimum landing size should correspond to the average size of first maturity of female fish. However, this is difficult to achieve in practice when fish of different species, which grow to, and mature at, different sizes, are taken together in a mixed fishery, where the mesh size is not ideal for all species. Some minimum landing sizes, therefore, represent a compromise caused by the mixed fishery problem, and a desire to reduce the need to discard undersized fish. The table as follows lists the current minimum landings size, and recommended minimum landing size based on maturity criteria for some commercial species:

Biologically desirable minimum landing sizes (mls)

Species Current mls Mls based on maturity criteria

Cod 35 40–70(depending on region)

Haddock 30 35–40

Whiting 27 20–22

Saithe 35 60

Sole 24 26–28

Place 27 30–32

Hake 27 55

Megrim 20 26–28

Large

( http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/31023w02.htm )

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust