LARGE HERRING SHOALS APPEAR EARLY OFF WHITBY ACCOMPANIED BY PILOT WHALES

big_cod

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 18 2006, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tourists coming to G B for the fishing, that would be a turn up for the book.

Oh, I don't know, though...

Lots of Americans, Europeans, Scandinavians etc come here to fly-fish the "classic" chalkstreams for trout, or for salmon in Scotland (and are usually made to pay heavily). There's a big-money industry of letting agents, owners, well-connected individuals etc, in fact, though known mostly only to those 'in the swim'.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

And one stretch of a river in Wales, too...

http://www.express-softwareshop.co.uk/Aber...iffAndRules.cfm

You'd be surprised who fishes there - scroll down to the foot of this one...

http://seatrout.proboards21.com/index.cgi?...3043442&page=60

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Guest binatone
Unfortunately skippy all we'll probably see is a load of boats intent on hammering the shoals back into extinction before the EU and UK fisheries guys wake up and belatedly, as usual, try to do something about it. You may think this pessemistic, but when you think of the crecedence given to those who lobby on the basis of 'overfishing never hurt stocks' you can't be too optimistic.

There’s always been herring off Whitby as far as I can remember. There’s been more than ever over the last decade and by the sounds of big cod’s reports they are going to be here again in abundance. So where are the Tunney?

Did they fish commercially for Tunney or was it just the anglers who targeted them of Whitby and Scarborough? So who caught them all then? Anglers? Why are you blaming commercial fishermen now for the demise of the Tunney fishery off the Yorkshire coast?

Did the likes of Mitchell-Henry believe in catch and release? I think not.

Nowt to do with the old anglers - the tuna merely went elsewhere for a meal when the huge herring-shoals disappeared.

There’s always been herring off Whitby as far as I can remember. There’s been more than ever over the last decade and by the sounds of big cod’s reports they are going to be here again in abundance. So where are the Tunney?

Did they fish commercially for Tunney or was it just the anglers who targeted them of Whitby and Scarborough? So who caught them all then? Anglers? Why are you blaming commercial fishermen now for the demise of the Tunney fishery off the Yorkshire coast?

When the herring were netted heavily and their numbers collapsed, the tunney then had nothing to follow. Not really to do with catching the tunney, more their feed. Bit like the sandeel situation I guess.

:clap2: It wasn't the 'overfishing' of the tunny but the overfishing of the herring that drove the tunny away. Big fish have big diets and when herring became scarce due to 'overfishing' then the tunny failed to arrive. No point in travelling all that way to find only scraps at the table. There are now less tuna so the food available for them elsewhere is enough so they don't travel here any more. :clap2:

Guest binatone
When the herring were netted heavily and their numbers collapsed, the tunney then had nothing to follow. Not really to do with catching the tunney, more their feed. Bit like the sandeel situation I guess.

So how many of these fish were actually caught by anglers then?

Not many. Giant tuna are one of the toughest fighters, period. Their scorching, sounding runs will destroy modern tackle, cause things like Shimano big game reels to seize up. Having once had a good look at what the old timers were using to fish them, I reckon it's a near miracle that they landed any!

% wise I don't know though it would be insignificant as they would all go (did go) when their feed went. My sandeel analogy is that I believe N Sea stocks are low in part to low food sources, not overfishing for human consumption in isolation as many on here would believe. Thing is Binatone, I'm an angler with significant support for the commercial fleet.