Fishing report - Warbarrow...

phooey

- A proper one too - you know, where there are actually some fishy things caught !

The 3 intrepid anglers, Darnsarf, Paintfly and Phooey hit the venue last night departing from Kimmeridge ( stealthily avoiding the fishing taxes imposed by the local shire reeve with a 7.00pm launch ) and bid a fond 'farewell' by Richi who dragged his 'fair maiden' along to witness the event, and had there been a 'spare' kayak lying around would undoubtedly be divorced this morning :rolleyes:

Your unbridled enthusiasm is an inspiration to all :thumbs:

Having launched and gotten underway I wondered if I should have packed something to tie the anchor to. I decided I probaby should - so went back to the car - where I came to the conclusion I probably ought to have packed an anchor line before I left home as well... :2:

Footnote...

Richie's van was still in the car park next to my car, and having waved us merrily off some 15 minutes ago and I doubt he was expecting a re run. I was relieved not to see his van bouncing all over the car park, but I pressed the 'unlock' button on the fob from 50 paces and flashed the hazards - just in case :D

This excursion will best be remembered for the short ( " Its only 2 miles" ) paddle from Kimmeridge to the bay.

It was a SLOG lasting a FULL HOUR, with wind and I think tide against us and I was desperately praying the lobster pots we had seen and used a week earlier were still around, ( I needed to tie up ) :rolleyes: Well, luck smiles on idiots and in the pitch black just as we pulled into the bay I ran smack bang into one !

I bungeed up, and DS and Paint dropped anchor a few yards away.

I chucked out a conger rig baited with squid, and float fished rag a few feet off the bottom.

DS did his customary float arrangement and Paint, I think, was on a running ledger concentrating on just one rod.

After just 20 minutes line started ripping off the conger rig :o and I battled for a full 5 minutes with the seabed before I admitted to myself it was not in fact an eel that had gone straight to ground, but a snagged hook that peeled line off the spool as the boat rose in the swell and tide.

I think DS was amused!

All was quiet for a while then I saw the isotope DS gave me dip under the surface and stay under. A bite - or more seabed ? It came back up and I reeled in and changed the ragworm for a fresh double. It was in the water about 2 minutes when under it went and this time I struck - Bang, bang, bang, bang went the rod and I shouted " I'm in ! " which I was for about 5 seconds until the line went slack. I knew it was a fish - and a decent one.

I had to wait about an hour before the float dived again but this time I scored and the proof is safely imprinted on my camera's XD card !

A Pollack - my first !!

Half an hour later DS did the same and after having lost a few fish brought one up as well :)

We fished on a bit but Paint hasn't got all the right clothing yet and was feeling the cold - so we beached the yaks and built a fire from driftwood.

Was the warmth from that fire welcome or what! :sun:

We dried our kit and DS - whose fish could not be revived from its effort to evade capture - showed off his ' Bushtucker' skills.

Jamie Oliver better watch out !

By the time we had finished dawn was beginning to break and we decided to troll lures back to Kimmeridge - but nothing was interested / around.

As we docked on the concrete slipway the sun was starting to warm us up nicely and I was tempted to stay and fish on - the wind was getting fresher though and DS made a few diplomatic suggestions. In the end we all loaded back up and then shared a mug of fresh hot tea - followed by a celebratory beer - well, we didn't blank, and I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

I know - I should get out more.

;)

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Nice report Phooey good to hear some fish being caught and that you all got back safely. Which direction did you head?

Later this month/beginning of June I plan to start my tope sessions launching from Kimmeridge and heading east loaded with camping gear to break the paddle up.

I'd be interested to hear what direction the wind was down there and how it affected the surf when headed back into Kimmeridge Bay - I'm thinking of taking a helmet when launching from Kimmeridge in case the wind picks up on return and the surf is up over the ledges.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice report Phooey good to hear some fish being caught and that you all got back safely. Which direction did you head?

Later this month/beginning of June I plan to start my tope sessions launching from Kimmeridge and heading east loaded with camping gear to break the paddle up.

I'd be interested to hear what direction the wind was down there and how it affected the surf when headed back into Kimmeridge Bay - I'm thinking of taking a helmet when launching from Kimmeridge in case the wind picks up on return and the surf is up over the ledges.

We headed West out of Kimmeridge, and fished Warbarrow.

Wind was predominately westerly force 4-5 and on returning into Kimmeridge bay the surf was more or less directly behind you and very manageable.

We avoided the ledges by a wide margin as it looked a bit dodgy with surf kicking up.

Tope at Kimmeridge ?

Camping ?

I'd be up for that !

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Well done to you all, but are there no pic,s for us suck at home with the paint brush, and her in doors reading the rights and wrongs of painting a wall. :angry: terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Terry hasn't your missus heard that splat paint is the in thing in interior design?

You must bring her up to date old son - take three tins of different coloured paint of your choice - apricot, Wedgewood blue and a darker red are the favourites at the moment.

Take the apricot tin and throw a great splash at the wall.

Next take the Blue tin and do the same - but from the other side.

Roll those two colours all over the wall.

Using the red tin in a roller tray, take the roller and dip it in - flick and daub bits of red over the apricot and blue mix.

End result is a custom, interior design that will be the envy of all your friends -you can even say it was suggesed by the interior design guru and Feng Shui master, Wof Lung Dung and Anthony Lllewyllen Bowen swears by him....!

Total time taken - 7 minutes!

See you on the water tommorrow mate!

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one Phooey---I'll be there next week.I was surprised at how far the nav lights were visible we could still see you all halfway up the hill from the van.The loony was pleased to meet you all but for some strange reason thinks that you're all normal--women! :D Told you you'd get a Pollack mate :clap:Roll on next weekend------anyone up for a bit of Plaice bashing?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Phooey has summed the trip up pretty well, which was the climax to my first w/e of yak fishing. It was great to meet up with some of the regulars on this forum, such as Starvin and Richi, but for me, special mention has to go to 'team leader' Darnsarf for looking after us during last night's epic, which I have to admit, at times, was a bit outside my comfort zone. (must get some better wet kit! and learn how to catch fish!!) Hopefully Phooey will overcome his technical problems soon and post some pix (his fish, anyway - will you be Whiting home about the Pollack you caught then? :D) Here's a shot of PH & DS landing at Kimmeridge today. It was a beautiful Bank Holiday morning at a very special stretch of coastline. Thanks guys. :thumbs::thumbs:

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip Paintfly. I understand what you mean about comfort zone. You haven't been on the water very long and you pulled an all nighter.

I've only fished at night a couple of times myself, these were for a few hours very close to my launch point in areas I had fished quite a few times before in daylight. I hope to fish a few night sessions this summer ( fish on into darkness for a while after sunset) but for the best part I will try to fish during daylight where for me I feel more comfortable.

This might change when I get more experience - I could turn into a 3am Sole Hunter :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

post-7370-1145384199_thumb.jpgpic 4post-7370-1145384169_thumb.jpgpic 5post-7370-1145384137_thumb.jpgpic 6

post-7370-1145384028_thumb.jpgpic 1post-7370-1145383997_thumb.jpgpic 2post-7370-1145383952_thumb.jpgpic 3

Phooeys photos

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph