cumbrian kayakers

dingle

Hi SDD,

Cheers for the reply!!

We will have to get something sorted out soon then..I'm at St Bees so not a million miles from you and have been told of a few good marks round the heads from a boat angler mate from Whitehaven if you fancy a change. There is an old wreck just of the south head st bees end most of which was salvaged when it ran aground but the boilers and bits were left good for conger/pollack etc i am told. Best to do the heads on a smallish tide as it can run pretty fast. but if you time it right you can use the tide to paddle to fleswick bay and beyond if conditions allow and back when the tides turned again.

I will certainly give you a shout when I am planning a paddle and by all means next time your going let me know.

Simon, As for the plaice trip (looks like allonby from the pics) I will be at coniston then so will be unable to make it but cheers for the offer. Might throw a lure out to see whats about while I am there.

Cheers

Dingle

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That old boiler does hold Conger , saw one pulled out around 20lb many many years ago. Really fancy a trip up this summer to fish the heads , about a 4 knott tide i'm told , but is it St Bees to Whitehaven on the rise or ebb?

Ok Prowler 13

Simon / Neil, would love to make the Maryport / Silloth thang but Can't this weekend, missus's only weekend off this weekend and we are out with friends, dare not get out of this one, did that last Saturday!! :black_eye: she would kill me ha ha!.

Martin could be right tho! 25 mins might be pushing it! :bigemo_harabe_net-165:

Good luck tho boys, hope to see pictures of record plaice :thumbs:

I plan to get some sea yakking in the weekend after though (misses is an artic driver so will be working that weekend!) so anyone fancy that ???

Tight lines all ~~~~~~~ SDD

The plaice is next weekend......does that alter things?

If you like sea kayaking you'll have to try the Skua when she arrives - also got a tandem in transit with her. Fabulous tandem - you and your missus together....paddle your own canoe!

The shipment should arive mid May.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi SDD,

Cheers for the reply!!

We will have to get something sorted out soon then..I'm at St Bees so not a million miles from you and have been told of a few good marks round the heads from a boat angler mate from Whitehaven if you fancy a change. There is an old wreck just of the south head st bees end most of which was salvaged when it ran aground but the boilers and bits were left good for conger/pollack etc i am told. Best to do the heads on a smallish tide as it can run pretty fast. but if you time it right you can use the tide to paddle to fleswick bay and beyond if conditions allow and back when the tides turned again.

I will certainly give you a shout when I am planning a paddle and by all means next time your going let me know.

Simon, As for the plaice trip (looks like allonby from the pics) I will be at coniston then so will be unable to make it but cheers for the offer. Might throw a lure out to see whats about while I am there.

Cheers

Dingle

Hi Dingle :) The misses has a mate in St Bees, think its Ennerdale road or drive or sumatt! It is a big bunga low that looks out towards the sea over a golf course!. Nice spot. So you are doing Coniston! I go there a lot, we take our yaks and have a summer Barbie there etc, don't fish though, don't have freshwater gear, and am quite new to yak sea fishing. Not sorted out a anchor system yet so drift fishing not too far out is my limit really, but just love being out on the water :boat: I am determined to get more adventurous though and often paddle out from here (I live opposite Eskmeals range) and off tarn point. There is a red kelp bed which produces some lovely cod and is a quick paddle!!. There are pot markers there as it is a rocky bottom (near selkar rocks) and is fished for lobster. I have it marked on my gps/finder so will give it a go next weekend if weather ok!. Will give you a shout mate and anyone else wanna come up will be more than welcome (could do with the experienced anglers knowledge!) Quite fancy the heads as well mate. Went for a paddle one day (in a sis yak tho) and there was a weird down draught coming over the head, a very strange experience indeed, good fun tho!)~~~~~~~~ keep in touch~~~~~SDD

Simon / Neil, would love to make the Maryport / Silloth thang but Can't this weekend, missus's only weekend off this weekend and we are out with friends, dare not get out of this one, did that last Saturday!! :black_eye: she would kill me ha ha!.

Martin could be right tho! 25 mins might be pushing it! :bigemo_harabe_net-165:

Good luck tho boys, hope to see pictures of record plaice :thumbs:

I plan to get some sea yakking in the weekend after though (misses is an artic driver so will be working that weekend!) so anyone fancy that ???

Tight lines all ~~~~~~~ SDD

The plaice bashing date is now set for Sunday the 30th April, so that might suit suit you as well David. It will be easier as the tide is a wee bit later that day and not quite so big.

Just pray for some decent weather. :sun:

Neil

I've still one tin of sunshine left over from last summer - I'll bring it with me. We can take the lid off once settled....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

The plaice bashing date is now set for Sunday the 30th April, so that might suit suit you as well David. It will be easier as the tide is a wee bit later that day and not quite so big.

Just pray for some decent weather. :sun:

Neil

Hi Neil

Sounds like that could have my name all over it :):):)

Lets hope for :sun::sun::sun:

I need a link now how to install a anchor system (not too complicated for my tiny brain :lol: ) so will trawl the sites :)

Cheers~~~~~~~~~~SDD